• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi

I want to buy a tablet and run skyeye or sky safari so I can hold it up to the sky in real time and see alignment stars
Can you just add your location or do you need gps I assume the gravity sensors would work with just a zip code or location in the setup menu Just want to make sure

Thanks

Greg

#2 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi

I want to buy a tablet and run skyeye or sky safari so I can hold it up to the sky in real time and see alignment stars
Can you just add your location or do you need gps I assume the gravity sensors would work with just a zip code or location in the setup menu Just want to make sure

Thanks

Greg

I use SkySafari Pro on my iPad and Android phone... You can definitely input your location, but most tablets (iOS or Android), if not all, have GPS built-in.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi

Thanks

Greg

Greg:

I am not sure about Skeye but you can certainly add locations manually with Sky Safari. If you are looking for an inexpensive tablet, to run Sky Safari, make sure that it has access to the Google Playstore, some do, some don't. If you get one that doesn't then you won't be able to download Sky Safari.

Jon

#4 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the replies Looks like Ipad mini or Galaxy 2 10inch
both have sensors I believe

#5 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yes you can add you location into either app manually, so you really don't NEED GPS built in. Though if you're wanting to use it as a virtual star finder the device you get WILL need to have either a Gyroscopic sensor OR a combo of Magnetometer and Accelerometer. Either of the the 2 devices you mentioned have that covered.

#6 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Research the iPad Mini carefully before you buy. Mine has a compass but it does not have GPS. I believe (not certain!) that's presently true of all Minis. Incidentally, FWIW, I love mine.

#7 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NL, N 52 E 6

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have both but Skysafari is way better than Skeye.
Even the 'Lite' version ($3) already is better.

#8 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Research the iPad Mini carefully before you buy. Mine has a compass but it does not have GPS. I believe (not certain!) that's presently true of all Minis. Incidentally, FWIW, I love mine.

Sensors Ipad Mini

Three-axis gyro
Accelerometer
Ambient light sensor

Looks like LTE version has GPS

Thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics