CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UV Filters & Canon IS Binoculars...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

The Canon IS 10x42, 15x50, and 18x50 come threaded for filters, and I know that many have purchased a set of filters simply to protect the objectives.

When I purchased my 15x50 IS, it came with a set of 58mm polarizer filters (the previous user was a fisherman) which I don't have a lot of use for since I use this binocular for night sky observing about 80% of the time. So I chose to purchase a set of screw-on lens hoods instead (about 20mm length) to give some protection to the objectives.

So now I purchase a Canon 10x42 L IS and the previous user installed a set of B+w F-Pro UV-Haze filters over the objectives. I'm again tempted to remove them and buy a pair of lens hoods again, but is there a good reason to leave the UV filters in place? I expect to use this binocular about 50%/50% night/day...

Thanx.

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Unless you use the binos in 'gritty' environments, during use I should think the hoods would be the better option. Flat filters can be a source of reflections generated in double-pass, autocollimation. The hoods offer the possibility of reducing the amount of extra-field light scattering about.

#3 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanx Glenn. I ordered myself a pair of hoods. Not very expensive and should do the job well.

#4 Three60guy

Three60guy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Greetings all:

First post.  I just purchased and have just begun using a pair of Canon 18x50 IS Binoculars.  I live in a very light pollution infested area between Milwaukee, WI and Chicago, IL.  Hence this question:

Who sells 58mm light polution filters that could be used on my Canon Bins which have threads to accommodate such a filter?  (I am hoping I am correct on the 58mm size).

Cheers

Rees

#5 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

The Canon IS 10x42, 15x50, and 18x50 come threaded for filters .....
When I purchased my 15x50 IS, it came with a set of 58mm polarizer filters (the previous user was a fisherman) which I don't have a lot of use

Have you ever thought of using the 58mm thread for using some optical filters? Like

http://www.ebay.it/i...=item259c15a82f

Or these ones

http://stores.ebay.i...fsub=5618989016

They are from Italy, but I have nothing to do with them. Maybe you will find some cheaper vendor ....

#6 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Greetings all:

First post.  I just purchased and have just begun using a pair of Canon 18x50 IS Binoculars.  I live in a very light pollution infested area between Milwaukee, WI and Chicago, IL.  Hence this question:

Who sells 58mm light polution filters that could be used on my Canon Bins which have threads to accommodate such a filter?  (I am hoping I am correct on the 58mm size).

Cheers

Rees

Yes the front thread of your binoculars is 58mm.

You can find on Amazom these:
http://www.amazon.co...llution filters

BUT I don't know what is the thread if it's 58mm or not. Ask them.

But you can buy some adapter for a little price.

Bye.

#7 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

Greetings all:

Sorry if I said something unclair or unkind.

Bu usually when "someone" buys something, there is aways something more to buy.

I remember some, a lot of some, years ago, that

(on magazines they said) "you can only have your 35mm reflex camera and a 50mm lens".

Then you comprised that a tripod could be useful ... a release .... an enlarger ... a good enlarger optics ... a chanching bag ...

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics