UV Filters & Canon IS Binoculars...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

The Canon IS 10x42, 15x50, and 18x50 come threaded for filters, and I know that many have purchased a set of filters simply to protect the objectives.

When I purchased my 15x50 IS, it came with a set of 58mm polarizer filters (the previous user was a fisherman) which I don't have a lot of use for since I use this binocular for night sky observing about 80% of the time. So I chose to purchase a set of screw-on lens hoods instead (about 20mm length) to give some protection to the objectives.

So now I purchase a Canon 10x42 L IS and the previous user installed a set of B+w F-Pro UV-Haze filters over the objectives. I'm again tempted to remove them and buy a pair of lens hoods again, but is there a good reason to leave the UV filters in place? I expect to use this binocular about 50%/50% night/day...

Thanx.

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Unless you use the binos in 'gritty' environments, during use I should think the hoods would be the better option. Flat filters can be a source of reflections generated in double-pass, autocollimation. The hoods offer the possibility of reducing the amount of extra-field light scattering about.

#3 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanx Glenn. I ordered myself a pair of hoods. Not very expensive and should do the job well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics