Photo

MaxBright Nose pieces

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I bought a Maxbright without nose pieces because I didn't know that I didn't know about them. Could someone please let me know which one or ones I'd need for my 8" dob and 102mm reflector?

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

1.25" or 2", that's more or less the question. I'd go with 2", if both scopes accept it. Have you thought about focus issues and what GPCs you may need to correct it?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#3 howard929

howard929

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thank you Thomas. Err.. no. I didn't think about GPC's because I don't know anything about them or focus issues.

For some dumb reason I thought I'd just buy a BV and hook it to my dob and it would just work. Instead I bought a Maxbright only and didn't realize what "only" meant.

Can this even be used with a dob?

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Also consider the 1.7 compensator designed for newts:
http://www.alpineast...viewers.htm#ORJ
Rex

#5 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thank you Thomas. Err.. no. I didn't think about GPC's because I don't know anything about them or focus issues.

For some dumb reason I thought I'd just buy a BV and hook it to my dob and it would just work. Instead I bought a Maxbright only and didn't realize what "only" meant.

Can this even be used with a dob?

Go to the alpine astro web site and down load the PDF instruction manual for the Maxbrights. there is a chart of back focus distances needed with all the compensators. this will give you the information you need to fit the right Glass path compensator.
Rex

#6 howard929

howard929

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Rex

Thank you for the links but are you suggesting that the 1.7 is the one I need? It looks like it is but I'm just asking because I would ask before placing an order.

#7 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Rex

Thank you for the links but are you suggesting that the 1.7 is the one I need? It looks like it is but I'm just asking because I would ask before placing an order.

The special newt 1.7 reduces needed back focus (also known as in focus) the most and will probably work with ANY scope, note this compensator also corrects for coma ( like a Paracor). So yes it is a safe bet. The question you need to ask yourself is A: how much back focus does my scope have ( to get a rough idea: rack out your focuser to where you normally need to be with an eyepiece and measure NOTE EDIT : how far out the focuser is i.e. length of the exposed shaft of the focuser body) This is your available in focus.
B: Do you need to correct for coma? is your scope faster than F5?
C: Do you want to spend the extra money for the special 1.7 corrector or can you get by with a regular corrector?
A little measuring , thinking, and checking your pocket book will give you the right answer for your situation.
Rex

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I second the 2" nose. The problem with using a 1.25" nose is that if you use it in a 1.25" diagonal, it is difficult to get the pressure on the retention screw on the diagonal holder firm enough to keep the bino from rotating.

Even if you are using it on a small SCT where the scope is optimized for 1.25" eyepices, it is better to use a standard SCT to 2" adapter in place of the 1.25" visual back. This will cause a C5 to loose aperture, but this is one case where I will accept that. It was impossible to get even the Maxbrights to clamp securely into the 1.25" visual back of the C5.

#9 howard929

howard929

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Rex

Normally coma isn't an issue with Newt I have at f/5.9. The $118 is something I can currently swing specially if, as the PDF mentions it will remove any coma that's inherent in bino viewers. Something I wasn't aware I'd need to compensate for.

Thoughts about that appreciated.

Eddgie

2" seems fine visually, TY, also weight isn't much of an issue with my dob as I keep counter weights handy for added weight at the focuser end.

#10 howard929

howard929

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

C: Do you want to spend the extra money for the special 1.7 corrector or can you get by with a regular corrector?

I haven't found those. Can you share a link to where I can buy a regular corrector? Also, do these correctors have lens inside or are they just hollow spacer tubes?

#11 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I haven't found those. Can you share a link to where I can buy a regular corrector? Also, do these correctors have lens inside or are they just hollow spacer tubes?

http://www.alpineast...htm#Binoviewers
Alpine Astro is the distributer of all the Baader stuff,
See the link above for the price sheet, look under binoviewers
The regular correctors are listed as: Glass 1,2,3 ( for 1.25, 1.7 and 2.6)
Rex
P.S. the regular glass path correctors (GPC,s) fit inside either the diagonal or the nosepiece ( see the Maxbright instruction manual for install instructions)

#12 howard929

howard929

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thank you.

I have an additional problem besides ME in that my Dob isn't here to be able to check.

I just got off the phone with Tom at Alpine and he advised me not to just buy the 1.7x without first doing a measurement. Obviously it's what you've been suggesting, I just hoped he would say "sure it will work because he's familiar with a Z8." But he didn't say that so now the wait is on and I'm fine with that.

#13 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Howard, you might post on the "reflectors" forum asking if anyone can tell you the available back focus on you scope?
Rex
P.S. on some reflectors, you can adjust the screws on the primary mirror and move it up to give the scope more back focus.

#14 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Your 2" barlow will work if you do get a 2" nosepiece (and the Maxbright needs a T2 nosepiece). If you want less power, I'd also suggest the 1.7X coma corrector, it's neat and an easy resale if you don't like it. Judging from the results in my reflector, the 1.7X achieves focus fairly close to a regular eyepiece so you should be okay. If you need a little more in-focus you can try screwing the collimation bolts all the way in as previously suggested, and if that doesn't work you can add a 1.25X glasspath.

#15 howard929

howard929

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Wow. This is nutty. I was just about to post a question asking if the 2x 2" Barlow I have would work like a 1.7x GPC and there it is, you suggesting I try it.

Thank you. I will.

#16 howard929

howard929

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Ok then. For better or worse, I just paid $47 for a 2" nosepiece at Alpine. If it works at all, great. If not, it'll be a nice $47 toy to look at.

I guess it's finally go time so I need to get back my eyepieces and source a 25mm plossl to match the 25mm plossl that came with my refractor.

It may not be for a long while but I'll post results about how this shakes out and Thank you and ALL for the help.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics