Photo

SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

WIN XP SP3 is still the best for Astro (capture) work!!

#52 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Well this morning I decided to try it again and low and behold.... The camera is connecting!!!!! YAY!!! Perhaps the fix that Jose suggested worked and I just needed to shut down after making the changes for them to go in effect!

So YES my SSAG IS working with Win 8 on 3.0 hubs :yay: :yay: :thewave:

#53 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Well this morning I decided to try it again and low and behold.... The camera is connecting!!!!! YAY!!! Perhaps the fix that Jose suggested worked and I just needed to shut down after making the changes for them to go in effect!

So YES my SSAG IS working with Win 8 on 3.0 hubs :yay: :yay: :thewave:

Excellent. If it is a repeatable fix it should be on the Orion website

#54 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

I hope it is repeatable for everyone else's sake!!!

Thanks again Jose!!

#55 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

You're lucky, restart did nothing at my end :(

Again, I tried every trick in the book to no avail.

Guylain

#56 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Heck. I will take lucky any day! I do feel fortunate for sure but disappointed that it might not be a real fix.

Initially I had a hard time to find the settings screen that Jose was referring not being familiar with the Win8 platform. Once I located the proper settings screen I followed the details just as Jose mentioned. I think because I shut down last night and restarted everything worked today.

I know there have been others with the same problem and am curious now how many this will work for and for those it doesn't,, why?

The real test will be tonight and I will do a test of the whole system, but am fairly confident all should work in harmony now the camera is connecting to PHD.

#57 CA Stargazer

CA Stargazer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milpitas, California

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Update:
Problem with SSAG not being recognized with Win8/USB3 is resolved.
It involves disabling USB3.0 mode via BIOS setting [F2 key at startup].
This Ultrabook has only 2 USB ports, and both of them are 3.0.
So, for those with an Apire S7 ultrabook,
here is the Bios screen if it may help others.

I am one happy stargazer.

Frank...

Attached Files

#58 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Frank: Interesting - that might actually also explain why some USB3 systems work and others do not. Your screenshot would indicate that your USB3 controller is an add-on (not part of the standard compliment of interfaces built into the processor/chipset). I would hazard a guess that those for who it is working have USB3 built in to the chipset rather then an external controller.

#59 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'll be damn... just when I had 110% lost faith in the SSAG to run on my W8 Asus G75V workhorse laptop, after I bought another guide camera, disabling xHCI did it. The SSAG is now working.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Guylain

#60 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

I've been running my SSAG with PHD, backyard EOS, and NexRemote for over 6 months on W8 x64 without a single hickup. All work perfectly fine.

#61 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm running into a similar issue as described above. I have tried to install it on both an Asus G75 and a Surface Pro both running Windows 8 and both with USB 3.0 support with zero luck.

I have tried:
Jose's fix
disabling xHCI
manually installing the drivers using update driver
moving the files from program files x86 to program files

The interesting thing is the on the Surface Pro the red light comes on. On the G75 it doesn't but at least on the G75 it shows that the SSAG Base as the driver. Whereas on the Surface it shows null. On both devices it is listed as unknown.

#62 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Finally got it working. The key is that once it is installed once the uninstall doesn't removes the files but not the registration from the driver store. The solution is to run pnputil. Also for future people trying to get this to work use these steps in order to get the Starshoot Autoguider to work with Windows 8.

Throw out CD that comes with product
Install PHD from Star Labs site
Disable xHCI
restart computer in disable signed driver enforcement mode
install drivers from Orion website.
Restart computer
Plug Starshoot into one USB port, remember which port you plugged it in

Also really this is an example of a device which has very sloppy programing. It should enforce strict USB standards and it should be properly signed.

#63 poofer

poofer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Where is the fix? Thanks
Pat forster

#64 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

You need follow the steps in my post above. I have it working on two different Windows 8 64 computers.

#65 linuxkidd

linuxkidd

Lift Off

• Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I just chatted with Orion about this issue. I'd rather not have to disable USB3 on my system as I use an external USB3 HDD for storing my captured images / videos.

Cliffs notes version: They're working on a fix... no eta.

Chat transcript below:
You are now chatting with Damian
Damian: Thank you for contacting Orion Telescopes & Binoculars, how may I help you today?
Michael: Hello Damian, I'm curious if there is any planned update to the Orion SSAG drivers to allow them to function on a Windows 8 computer with USB 3?
Damian: i am not positive but let me get you to a technician to confirm this
You are being transferred to Tech Support department...
Michael: Thanks
You are now chatting with Richard
Richard: Hi Michael
Michael: Hello Richard
Michael: I was wondering if there are any updates planned for the Orion SSAG drivers to allow it to function on a USB 3.0 Windows 8 system?
Richard: They are working on the issue but I've not heard a date when the issue will be resolved.
Michael: Is there a beta test list that I may be placed on to help test the new driver?
Richard: I will send your offer to our engineering group.
Michael: ok, please pass along my email xxxxx@xxxxx.com
Michael: Thanks
Richard: Will do. And, thank you for your offer.
Michael: Thanks.. have a great day.
Richard: Thank you. You too.

#66 Sungrazer1965

Sungrazer1965

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Help please anyone

I have a dell alienware machine. I followed the instructions from akulapanam and got it working - once only - I cannot replicate it and it cannot be recognized at all.
I have enabled USB debug (the dell turn off USB 3 in bios)

So what i have now tried is to:
uninstall ssag 2.0
use pnputil to force delete the OEM158.inf package
reinstall - with the driver signature enforcement disabled
no luck

then i have
uninstall ssag 2.0
use pnputil to force delete the OEM158.inf package
delete everything that starts with ssag on the c drive
reinstall with the driver signature enforcement disabled - again not recognised.

there must still be some redundant information somewhere about the driver that exists outside the removal protocols i have just used

if it helps i have to force delete the package because it says it wont delete because one or more devices presently installed using the specified inf (after uninstalling SSAG) and i have no idea what other devices coudl possibly be using this??

anyone have any suggestions at all

thanks

#67 Sungrazer1965

Sungrazer1965

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hi All,

Finally I have reset the computer to factory state, followed the instructions from akulapanam and NO luck. I can however get it to work on my work notebook which is a Dell Inspiron which is also windows 8 and USB3.

My correspondence with Orion roughly follows the same logic as that in the above post. No date for a fix and no idea about how to resolve the problem. They say it is inconsistent and can't be replicated by them.

I guess we will wait and see. A signed driver would be helpful since windows 8 insists on it.

#68 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I too, have had this issue but never tried it on my SSAG. My SX cameras and lodestar will not function in USB3. My ultimate solution was to use a USB2 ports with a USB2 hub on a USB3 port. Oddly enough, all my other cameras (Atik, QHY, DSLR, Orion Starshoot V2) worked just fine in the USB3 ports - just not the SX cameras.

#69 acropolite

acropolite

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

For anyone still experiencing problems with the SSAG and win 8, I did some exhaustive testing after a failed setup on a new Lenovo laptop (E531)and found the following.

1. The SSAG would not install correctly on a USB 3 port despite the latest drivers installing correctly, the SSAG came up with a device not recognised and displayed the same misreporting of VID/PID as described previously. None of the previously posted solutions would work for me.

2. Using the one USB2 port available on the Lenovo (E531) did not alter the outcome, the device still showed as not recognised.

2. Removal of all drivers, uninstallation of the unrecognised device and cleaning of the registry and files with CCleaner did not alter the outcome, the SSAG remained unrecognised on the USB2 port.

3. Restoration of the OS from the recovery partition and installation of the drivers, followed by connection of the SSAG in the USB2 port resulted in immediate success. There must be remnants of the failed install left in the either the registry or elsewhere which stop the device from being correctly recognised after the first failed attempt. It's probably possible to track down the offending entries and or files but in my case it was quicker to reload the OS from scratch.

My conclusion from this is that the SSAG, having installed incorrectly, likely won't install properly no matter how you tinker, installing on a clean OS (i.e. no previous failed attempts to install the SSAG) to a USB2 port looks, to me at least, as the only way to guarantee successful installation.

I've passed this info on to Orion, their response

Thank you for contacting Orion Telescopes & Binoculars and for providing us with such thorough feedback. I have forwarded your email on to our Product Development team for their review. We appreciate your taking the time and having the patience to work through this.

Some more details in this thread on Iceinspace. http://www.iceinspac...ad.php?t=112400

Hope this helps.

#70 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

So after using my SSAG on my Dell Inspiron with Win 8. Sometimes it is recognized and most of the time it is not. If I try, try again usually it will work after many times of connecting and disconnecting.....finally it gets recognized.

It has become pretty frustrating that is takes sometimes 10 tries before it is working.

Has there been any news since these last posts?

I tried to follow the fix by disabling XHCI but I can not find this option via BIOS setting (F2 at startup)

#71 DDWMANAGER

DDWMANAGER

Lift Off

• Loc: NE

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ok guys I maybe very off base on this but I believe the issue is not Windows 8. I was having a similar issue with Stellarium and a few other astroprograms and I traced it to the video card / drivers used by ASUS. In my case it was a ASUS G73 using ATI drivers. I switched laptops to a Dell using a Intel video card and drivers and the problem went away. While on the ASUS G73 reformatting win7, win8, 32 or 64 bit or anything else I tried worked. ATI has a history of driver issues. They are very fast but their drivers always seem to be an odd duck. I do not know if you have access to another PC, aka non ASUS based. I also do not know if its a MB chipset issue as well. In any case try using a non-ATI based PC and see if the problems go away.

Steve W

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics