• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

I was trying to image Jupiter the other night using my DSLR and liveview. The video at times was a little jerky and I think it's because of a weight problem I've got six pounds of stuff on top of my OTA. I've read Starizona's balancing page. Has anyone come up with a nice home-brewed solution for balancing a CPC?

#2 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

If the scope is back-heavy, use a rail and a counterweight. You can slide one or more counterweights to balance accurately. I use ScopeStuff's rails and weights.

If it's front-heavy, you'll need to jury-rig weights to the grip on the mirror housing.

#3 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Here's my DIY solution:

Attached Files

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

If you are a bit too backheavy (the CPCs are naturally backheavy out of the box, but more accessories on the back end can tip that over into a realm where balance affects performance) the simplest solution is to add a dew shield, which also has the benefits of suppressing dew and shielding ambient light. Beyond that, the bottom counterweight systems offered by ADM and others do the trick nicely.

#5 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Here is my thread on a washer/T Bar system using hardware store parts. I just made new brackets and refited it to a CPC1100.

I favor a DIY dewshield made from Reflectix, but when I need to use an Astrozap shield, there is a significant forward CG shift.

The CPC mount will handle a substantial extra payload, however I speculate that having everything in balance will extend the life of the motors and gears. I can't say that tracking and go-to accuracy is improved (at least with a moderate extra load).

#6 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hi Gastrol,

Nice setup! What did you use as mounting blocks?

Don:usa:

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

My problem is I'm very front heavy with a 65mm refractor and the ADM plate to support it. I do like the Rockler T Track but I'm thinking that I'll have to extend it out the back some.

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

My problem is I'm very front heavy with a 65mm refractor and the ADM plate to support it. I do like the Rockler T Track but I'm thinking that I'll have to extend it out the back some.

It does come in 24" and I think it will clear the grab handle, so you can make a test before you cut the track. The track looks sturdy enough to stand a modest cantilever load.

#9 ariesangel

ariesangel

Lift Off

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Where did u get rail and small mounts? Please

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics