• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fernando jorge

fernando jorge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montevideo, Uruguay

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi! I've been using Registax 5 for quite a long time, for planetary imaging stacking. I've been using one point alignment, limit, optimization, stacking, etc. So far, so good.

However, every time I've tried to use Registax 6, with its multiple align points, the resulting image looks like a mosaic. After staking, one wavelets are applied, the image crackles, i assume every "mosaic" piece corresponds to a align point.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!!!

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'd be very surprised if you get this effect in excellent seeing, but I do understand not everybody can have excellent seeing all the time :)

I'd try AutoStakkert as an alternative stacking mechanism, but you may still get the same effect there, too. I know I've gotten exactly the symptom you describe at times with both tools. The only ways I've found to get around this are to (as you already stated) pick only one alignment point or to wait for really, really good seeing.

You get the 'crazy-paving' effect because you're literally asking for the stack for each alignment point to be formed from the best X frames for that area. The quality detection algorithm may decide frames 1-200 are best for area 1, but frames 201-400 are best for area 2, etc. This can definitely lead to disjoint borders between areas.

Another alternative is to increase or decrease the size of the alignment areas - if you play with this enough, you can eliminate this effect in most stacks.

Grant

#3 fernando jorge

fernando jorge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montevideo, Uruguay

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for your reply!
Seeing here is usually bad or very bad. Never good. So, now I understand what's happening. I'll give a try with more alignment points, but i think i'll have to keep processing with just one.

#4 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I did remember having similar mosaic problem on registax 6, I did have vry little experience when registax 5 was on release. What really fix for me the mosaic pattern was re-editing in virtualdub, dont knwo why.

#5 Driven1

Driven1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I used Registax 6 for quite a while. Never had a "mosaic" problem with it. What I had a lot of though was bad stacking. I learned to not let Registax pick the alignment points and set my own. Depending on the object, anywhere from 1 to 6 points. This helped a lot. Part of the problem I think is how Registax determines what is a "quality" frame and what isn't. I don't think it does as well as it should in that area. I have since switched to using AviStack2. In my opinion, once you understand what it's doing in each phase of the process, it's superior to Registax. And I feel that I have more (or easier)control of what the program considers quality frames and quality alignment points. I've been a lot less frustrated and MUCH happier with the results since I started using AviStack2. Oh, and it's not as much of a cpu hog as Registax. Runs a LOT faster on my machine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics