CCD Cleaning?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

My time-lapse animations of the sun and moon are being made many times more difficult by the presence of dust on the chip. Since the astronomical object is not perfectly registered on each image in the sequence, the dust motes appear to 'dance around' after the animation is assembled. This would not be a problem if I could remove the dust, but it's persistent despite trying pretty much all of these methods on the Imaging Source's site.

Imaging Source: Cleaning a CCD Chip

Has anybody else had this problem, and overcome it? Are there better ways to clean the chip? Should I be shooting flat fields? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Tom

#2 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

I use methanol & Q-Tip for stubborn motes, Tom. Otherwise, I prefer a dry Q-Tip.

#3 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Q-Tips can leave stray hairs. They make special lint free ones you can find easily online that work well, along with good cleaning solution.

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

For 99% of my dust motes, this has worked well. The Q-tip with methanol fixes the rest.

http://www.amazon.co...0L9OIQC/ref=...

Paul

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Q-Tips can leave stray hairs

They do indeed. But, easily picked away. They usually catch on the edges of the round plastic opening in front of CCD. They are not microscopic and easy to see. But, as David says, there are lint free cotton-tipped applicators. Medical grade might work, too.

I like the rocket blaster too, Paul. I have a similar one...the canned "air" may spray liquid and these won't. Good for gentle cleaning.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

My approach is certainly more expensive than any of the above but after struggling to find a "quick & easy" method which gives a total clean "first-up, straight-away" using anything else (including the aforementioned) I settled on proprietary dslr sensor cleaning swabs.

There are various sizes (best to select ones the same size as the glass screen cover of your cam's chip) and I simply place a couple of drops of the swabs' cleaning fluid onto the swab and give a firm single pass across the glass, flip the swab over and one pass with the other (usused) edge.....perfect cleaning everytime for the DBK, Flea3 & ASI120 cameras..!

I use lenspens for my dslr lenses but give them a good air blowing afterwards as they can leave loose carbon flecks on surfaces they clean.....so I've always had a slight paranoia about trying that method on the camera sensors... :question:

#7 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have this problem Tom and will be opening mine soon! Thanks for the encouraging post!

Mike

#8 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

My approach is certainly more expensive than any of the above but after struggling to find a "quick & easy" method which gives a total clean "first-up, straight-away" using anything else (including the aforementioned) I settled on proprietary dslr sensor cleaning swabs.

Can you give an idea where to buy these? I'm sure it will be worth the price for me. Currently, all I am doing is moving the dust around the chip with the other methods.

Tom

#9 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

http://www.amazon.co...PNGM18/ref=c...

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Can you give an idea where to buy these? I'm sure it will be worth the price for me. Currently, all I am doing is moving the dust around the chip with the other methods.

Tom

www.visibledust.com

David's link to a non-proprietary kit is most likely just as good Tom and a darn sight cheaper - the only thing is that you will need to ensure the width of the swabs is large enough for your sensor screen and not too big: you can get small swabs to clean the very corners of the screens but I find them unnecessary...

I purchased mine along with the "Arctic Butterfly" cleaning kit but you only need the sensor cleaning swabs and the liquid which you buy seperately, the small plastic bottle of which last a very long time: I'm often taking my cameras apart, and driving and travelling to dusty locations doesn't help.....so I use them much more than most I suppose, but my original box of 12 swabs still has a couple left and well over half the cleaning liquid left.....this after about 3 years of use I think..!

Most decent photgraphic supply stores should stock the above or a similar product - my packet of 12 ran at just under $2 a swab so I guess that wasn't too bad. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics