• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have an original Carton GEM that came with the 60mm f/15. There is some play in the dec axis, about 2-3 degrees, even when fully "clamped" down.
Apart from this, the head is in excellent shape, and i would really like to use it.
Has anyone had a similar problem of this kind, with this mount or similar? Any suggestions on how to approach fixing it?

#2 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

I had trouble with a smooth action not being there. If you take the casting apart you'll notice where the drill bit to bore the screw holes went awry. These had to be filled in with JBWeld and smoothed. Lousy design and machining I thought. Dang thing went herky jerky on me with the slightest drag applied. ;) Mike

#3 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

... If you take the casting apart you'll notice where the drill bit to bore the screw holes went awry. These had to be filled in with JBWeld and smoothed....

By "casting", do you mean the stout metal structure the dec axis shaft runs through, or the small structure for the dec slow mo, with the plastic access plate?

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Is this the mount you are referring to? The Dec. and RA on mine snug down without any slop in the movement.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#5 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes, apart from the silver ring at the base of the mount structure

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics