Photo

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide - 4th update?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Does anyone know if "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" is being updated soon? The last update was early 2008, which as you know a lot has happened since then - especially with eyepieces.

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I agree that its about time.

#3 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'd like to see a new edition too, but the web site does include lots of updated information. This section for instance talks about subsequent Ethos eyepieces that came out after the last printing:

http://www.backyarda...lescope_Eyep...

#4 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'd like to see a new edition too, but the web site does include lots of updated information. This section for instance talks about subsequent Ethos eyepieces that came out after the last printing:

No mention of Explore Scientific? even though they mention 21mm ethos, and 20mm 100 aFOV ES came out before? Is this what some refer to as being too political non-biased????

I would like to see aan update, but would like it to not exclude manufacturers.

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

I suspect that if there's a web site, you'd be better off referring to it, rather than waiting for a new edition just for the inclusion of new eyepieces. Since you already know about these eyepieces, that's not much of a reason to go to the expense of a new book.

#6 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

No mention of Explore Scientific? even though they mention 21mm ethos, and 20mm 100 aFOV ES came out before? Is this what some refer to as being too political non-biased????

I would like to see aan update, but would like it to not exclude manufacturers.

I remember the reference to "politics." Considering the poster never made clear what he was talking about I would not jump to any conclusions. The two authors of this book go to great extremes of referencing just about everything in astronomy. The only real omissions are products that have come out since the book was written.

#7 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Wonderful web site. got to get this book.

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

The two authors of this book go to great extremes of referencing just about everything in astronomy. The only real omissions are products that have come out since the book was written.

Agreed. My copy is the 1997 reprint; and I absolutely love it!

#9 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

The two authors of this book go to great extremes of referencing just about everything in astronomy. The only real omissions are products that have come out since the book was written.

If I were going to recommend an astronomy book-to-end-all-astronomy-books to someone, especially to a new astronomer, BYAG is the one I'd recommend. It's a very good, comprehensive, all-encompassing book, and one of my favorites.

#10 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

If I were going to recommend an astronomy book-to-end-all-astronomy-books to someone, especially to a new astronomer, BYAG is the one I'd recommend. It's a very good, comprehensive, all-encompassing book, and one of my favorites.

I liked it so much I have the second and 3rd versions. Someone said the original (outdataed) first edition was less political, but not having it, I don't know what they meant.

#11 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I double-agree

I credit this book with helping me avoid a lot of expensive purchases that would have undoubtedly disappointed me when I was a rank beginner.

I also think it is an ideal resource for someone entering the hobby.

Finally, it would be a disservice not to mention manufacturers. I was glad I knew what people were talking about when they mentioned 'Naglers', 'Televue', etc at my first star party.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics