DELOS EYEPIECES

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 ybor

ybor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I was wondering if any one can give me their advise , based on experience with these eyepieces , on either the DELOS 12mm or the DELOS 4.5 mm eyepieces. I am thinking of buying of one these eyepieces before the Televue sale ends on Dec.28th . I was thinking of possibly binoviewing with the Delos 12mm ?? or if that is not feasible then get Delos 4.5 for high power planetary viewing .

Is the Delos 12 MM a more flexible eyepiece to use ?

Has anyone used the Delos 4.5 for high power planetary viewing and has anyone compared it to the Ehos 4.7 ?

Your advice and experience is greatly appreciated since I can't make up my mind on which of these two new eyepieces to get .

Thank You

#2 tomchris

tomchris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I really enjoy barlowing my Ethos for the moon. It's a special sight seeing the moon at 100 FOV. I recently had a quick view through my new 4.5 Delos and I did notice the difference with the 72 FOV. That's just me... Others love that view frame. If I had to make a choice for that high powered view, however, I'd choose the Delos over the 4.7 Ethos. I'd rather just Barlow my longer focal length Ethos instead of buying the shorter length ones. You could also just consider barlowing a 12 Delos for high power and still use it for binoviewing.

#3 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I've got a 12 Delos and it is indeed a very flexible eyepiece barlowed and alone in my cats and refractor. Image quality is equal to my 13 Ethos. David

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

The Delos is an excellent eyepiece series. I recommend that you first decide which focal length eyepiece you want/need. There is a big swing between a 4.5 and a 12mm. A lot of people like an eyepiece with 72 AFOV in any focal length range. I prefer Naglers for wide angle eyepieces, and Delos in the medium to short focal lengths. I recently purchased the 14mm Delos to replace my 12 Nagler to give me a better magnification spread, although I keep the Nagler in my eyepiece case. Where I think the Delos really shines is in the short focal length ranges for doing high power work. I also own the 10mm, 8 and 6mm Delos eyepieces. I decided not to buy either the 3.5 or 4.5mm Delos and instead kept my 4mm Radian. I rarely can use a 4mm eyepiece on my 12.5 inch, F5 Portaball due to seeing conditions. So, I decided not to buy a Delos in that range.

Below are two Delos reviews. Reading between the lines, these experienced viewers rate the Delos as one of the finest planetary eyepieces available. They are great on axis, very good off axis, reveal nice contrasty planetary images, and don't have the 'coffee tone' of the Radians and Naglers. The so called coffee tone issue was always a non issue with me, however, many people complain about it. The Delos give a nice, purer 'white' light image, which the reviewers point out. The reviews note that the Delos yields just a tad more detail in the images than either the Ethos or Nagler eyepiece line. The reviewers made those comparisons. I have not compared the Delos and the Ethos views, but I have compared the Delos and Nagler views. They are so close in quality that I could hardly tell the difference. One last note--the 20mm of eye relief is more than enough to view while wearing glasses.
In short, I heartily recommend the Delos eyepieces. However, I still am lusting after a 5mm Pentax XO--but some have posted that the Delos will show just as much as even the XO.
Let us know what you decide.

http://www.televue.c..._2011NovDec.pdf

http://www.televue.c...b=_rev#201112AS

http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=183

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

You can't go wrong with a Delos.
Bear in mind the magnification difference between 12 and 4.5mm is profound. If you need both focal lengths, why not buy two while they're on sale? (can't blame a man for trying :grin:)
They binoview fine for most people because your nose is not between the eyepieces with 20mm of eye relief. But I'd still want at least 60mm of interpupillary distance to do so.

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Without knowing what your scope(s) are, hard to say which is "best".

I'm very enthusiastic about the three Delos I own and think it is pretty safe to say that Delos is the best eyepiece TeleVue is currently offering. The design seems to hit every key point, and is moderate in cost. Ever wonder why all those Ethos are showing up in the classifieds lately?

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Ever wonder why all those Ethos are showing up in the classifieds lately?

I wish they would show up at lower prices ...

:grin:
Mike

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I suspect that a lot of people bought one or more Ethoses to try them out, then once the novelty of using a 100 degree field wore off, many of these people thought "wow, I've got a lot of money tied up in eyepieces," and then sold them off to free up funds to try new things out. Plus, TV has sold a lot of Ethoses in the past few years, so it stands to reason that plenty of them have made their way to the used market.

#9 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

The Ethoi have been showing up at lower prices I was thinking, like a mint 13mm for $400 the other day...

#10 pstarr

pstarr

Gemini

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

I wish they would show up at lower prices ...

:grin:
Mike

I would think people are replacing them with the Delos line. I owned a 13mm Ethos and found the eye relief to tight for my liking. I couldn't see the whole fov using it with a Dioptrx or glasses.

#11 Mark Peterman

Mark Peterman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thanks a lot! :foreheadslap:

All this Delos talk convinced me so I ordered the 8mm today. I usually buy used but since the sale is still on and it came with free shipping I went for it.

I'm selling my TAK 5mm LE and TAK 7.5mm LE to help. I will eventually get the 10mm and 6mm and then a Powermate 2X to cover 5mm, 4mm, and 3mm.

#12 jeff heck

jeff heck

Apollo

• Loc: stl,mo.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I used the 4.5mm Delos on six outings and it performed beautifully on Jupiter, The Eskimo Nebula and galaxies, including the Stephen Quintet in Pegasus, on nights of good seeing. I did have a problem with black-outs where if my head position was off the entire view would go black. I ended up selling it and getting a 4.7mm Ethos, which arrived today.

#13 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

The Ethoi have been showing up at lower prices I was thinking, like a mint 13mm for $400 the other day...

Yeah, what's up with that? That's like my neighbor foreclosing on his house, tossing his keys in his mailbox and disappearing! Doesn't help my Ethos value! :lol:

#14 ybor

ybor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Please let me know how the Ethos 4.7 comparss to Delos 4.5
compares in visual views and if you are experiencing black outs . I thought that the Delos came with adjustable cup that elimanates the blackouts ?
If you are having black outs with 4.5 maybe I should go with the Delos 12 mm .
Thank You

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Please let me know how the Ethos 4.7 compares to Delos 4.5
compares in visual views and if you are experiencing black outs . I thought that the Delos came with adjustable cup that eliminates the blackouts ?
If you are having black outs with 4.5 maybe I should go with the Delos 12 mm .
Thank You

4.7mm Ethos apparent field = 110 degrees.
4.5mm Delos apparent field = 70 degrees.
Ethos apparent field of view is 1.57X as wide and has 2-1/2 times the area as the eye sees it. !!!

Correct, Delos has an adjustable eyecup to help position the eye to avoid blackouts. And the 12mm Delos would be the same, since it has the same eye relief.

#16 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yes I brought that $400 ethos 13mm ...looking forward to trying it...

#17 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121°E 14°N

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

The Delos is turning out to be the hottest kid in EP town, and I'm very happy with my Delos 6mm.

Posted Image
Humongous eye lens on the Delos 6mm :jump:

Best,

#18 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

The Delos barlows very nicely--I'm using my 14mm Delos with a 1.25" TV 2X barlow, the same barlow with an extension making it 2.4X, and also an antares 1.6X 2-inch barlow. The eyepiece is wonderful in all of those. So, considering that, I would think the 12mm is much more versatile for you than the 4.5mm, depending on your scopes.

#19 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I own the 6 and 10mm Delos eyepieces and am very happy with them.

Dave Mitsky

#20 northpole

northpole

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I've had the 6mm and 10mm Delos for a year, and absolutely love them. And I just got the 4.5mm for planetary. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, skies haven't been clear for awhile. The 4.5 Delos will be replacing my 5.2mm Pentax XL. (if you're wondering why: a bit more mag, a bit more AFOV than the XL's 65 degree, and a darker field at the edge).
IMHO,blackouts are not an issue at all if the adjustable eyecup is set properly.

#21 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

IMHO,blackouts are not an issue at all if the adjustable eyecup is set properly.

Per Tele Vue, the way to do this is:

1. Put eyeguard in full up position
2. View through eyepiece (all FOV will NOT be visible)
3. Slowly lower eyeguard until you can just see the entire AFOV
4. Lock eyeguard in that position

#22 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I really like the 2 inch adapter that comes with the Ethos SX EP's. Is there a similar arrangement available for the Delos as well? I would like to avoid the adapter shuffle. :-)

#23 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I use Antares twist lock adapters with my 1.25" eyepieces and barlows. Highly recommended. David

#24 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Oooo! Those are nice Dave! :-) I'm sold!

I got three for the Delos, and two for the panoptics. :-) 41mm to 3.7mm at 2 inch all the way baby!

#25 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, CA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yep, The Antares adapters work great! Markus (Scanning4Comets) pointed them out in one of his posts last year, and I had to pick up a few. I currently go 48,27,10,4.5 for my 2" "wide field" set :grin:

-James

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics