Oregon Star Party new location?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Solar Ken

Solar Ken

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Perhaps those on the planning committee or in the "inner-circle" can comment on this. Any chance that OSP will ever move to a new location? I've been to the Indian Trail Spring location a number of times but have grown tired of traversing the primitive road to get there and the insideous red dust that OSP is famous for.
Last year we skipped OSP in favor of Golden State Star Party. I miss the dark skies of OSP and the many fine people and friends I've met there, but not enough to punish my motorhome and other equipment to get there.
Any thoughts or comments about this?

Thanks, Ken

#2 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hello Ken...

I have posted sometimes on various threads, and watched for responses, and found none. I always wondered what that really meant.

I am interested in your post, but was just going to watch for replies, and "see" how the breeze was blowing. But.... no "breeze" yet.

I was at the OSP this past summer. We had a wonderful time. My wife and I travel in a 31' Motorhome (class C), and had no issues with the roads, nor the setup areas.

With the exception of the smoke filled skies (fires...), we had no issues. We travel on a lot of FS rodes, and found this site to be in excellant condition, including all access roads.

You may be aware of better choices for your situation and desires, but we like the OSP, and its location. We definately will keep it on our list of places to go (and enjoy).

#3 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

I love the skies. Although that's a serious gamble in the late summer forest fire season.

I can tolerate the roads however it's at least a days drive from ... well just about anywhere lol.

HATE the nasty, rocky, dusty tundra.

The food service was abysmal.

If the wind kicks up, well, game over, wasted trip.

Not for me.

YMMV :)

#4 fnowat

fnowat

Explorer 1

• Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

I visited my 1st OSP this past summer and after 3 days was realized we had to take the good with the bad.

I was catching myself complaining about all the dust and how it was on my legs/shoes/feet/tent floor... but then realizing how we have so much moisture/humidity back home in NE Ohio and we do not have THESE SKIES!!

So when I would see the dusty things...I tried to remember with this dust comes these skies! I think I also heard my 87 year old mother saying "be careful what you ask for" in the wind, though I knew my mother was back home in N. Indiana! LOL
Frank

#5 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I went for 6 nights this year for my first OSP. Had a great time. I camped down in the imaging area and I didn't think the dust was any big deal. I think the dust is worse in areas where people have moved rock or vegetation. I use large pieces of outdoor carpet and stay on that in my camping area and mount/tripod area. I brought my own food except for 1 meal when I got a burger. I drove in with a SUV pulling a 5x8 trailer for hauling gear and a dark place to sleep in. Didn't think the roads were a problem, Driving slow helps with the bumps and dust. I went into Prineville for a resupply day and it was about an hour to get there. I will go back again, not every year due to length of drive from Reno, and limited vacation time.

I have been to the GSSP the last 5 years and will continue. It is too close to Reno to skip. Have a great time each year. I wish there were fewer lights on the horizon but the viewing is still great. The dinners are a good value and well attended. The included all the showers you want is a good deal over the per ticket price at OSP.

#6 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I continue to be a big fan of the OSP. It would be very hard to beat this location. If you can come the weekend before it helps greatly. I pull a 5x 8 trailer. I just go real slow once I hit the gravel road and it seems to work out great. I have always gotten at least 2 days of decent viewing during the week. The greatest thing about the site is that is so big that you don't get crowded like a sardine like at some other star parties.

#7 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

The thing about OSP is that a good night there just blows away a good night anywhere else.

Bring food. Bring astroturf. Hey, you suppose OSP is why they call it 'astroturf'? :lol:

#8 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I visited my 1st OSP this past summer...we do not have THESE SKIES!!

This past summer, the skies at OSP were not that great. I was up there 8 nights and none of them were actually clear due to nearby forest fires.

If you were impressed with what you saw, you should see it when the skies are really clear and dry!

#9 Gregory Rohde

Gregory Rohde

Vendor (Superior Optical Supply)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Ken -
I have been a committee member for several years and this subject has come up more than once. We actively began looking for alternative sites a couple of years ago, particularly for the 2017 total solar eclipse. Part of the problem in selecting another site however is that the seeing conditions at ITS are so superb, and that most of central Oregon is either active ranch land or held by the BLM. We came up with only one site better positioned for 2017 (it was on the center line of totality) but it is BLM land under long term closure for a wildlife study.

Greg

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics