flocking C6SCT

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 doug mc

doug mc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

I have ordered some flocking paper , has anyone tried this in there cats baffle tube?

#2 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

I have (old C11). I don't think it was really worth it but it can't hurt. Make sure you mark the orientation of your corrector plate/secondary holder/shims exactly so you can put it all together the same way. Take this opportunity to clean your optics if needed.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I haven't but my C6 came from the factory with flocking material on the upper 1" of inside of the baffle tube.

It's a tight area inside the baffle tube and if you've never worked with flocking material I would actually practice on similar sized (1") tubes first. Then just pull the corrector (note the orientation) and work carefully (staying away from any contact with the primary mirror) and you should be fine.

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yea, I think if any real benefit can be realized, it's flocking the primary baffle leaving a little wiggle room at the top for the full light cone to enter unimpeded. But, I would love to hear testimony of others successfully flocking the entire OTA. At worst, it cannot hurt, it seems.

#5 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I would advise caution, the baffle is a close match to the optical path so any intrusion from the flocking could create a problem. The baffle is already manufactured with a good light supressing finish so don't think you will gain anything.

#6 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

+1
I'd just paint the inside ultra flat Black paint. no real benifit on those they have a very well designed baffle system. If you are going to do long exposure Astro photography,possibly a little help with image stability.
But a bit down the road your looking at parts of the glue letting go, peeling UUCK..
I only experienced one type of flocking that really helped,
it was a truss and the foot or so above the mirror and secondary was painted with a mixture of Kitty Litter (preferably unused and flat Black paint allied with a roller

#7 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I wouldn't take my C6 apart to flock it. If it's not "dirty" inside I wouldn't bother and it would have to be significantly "dirty". Anyway, the the flocking may cut-off the light cone inside the baffle tube. A dew shield will block most stray light. I don't believe you will gain significant improvements to the image.
-Rob

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

You know, if you look at the moon through your visual back without the diagonal you will notice the inside of the primary baffle is well lit. I am not sure those small fringes machined on the inside do much for blocking light. They scatter it pretty well, it seems to me.

A piece of flocking paper inserted from the visual back almost reaching the top of the baffle (to avoid vignetting) darkens the interior nicely.

I am not sure I noticed any improvement, but reducing that scattering should make some improvement in the view even if just in the mind. It's comforting knowing the baffle is light tight. So, if some errant ray actually makes it into the primary baffle, in itself a feat, then attenuating it before striking the focal plane is nice.

I'd recommend flocking the inside of the primary baffle, maybe not the entire OTA unless someone can offer some evidence the latter makes an improvement.

#9 doug mc

doug mc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

I will give it a try and see what happens. Looking along the termiator of the moon most nights is not a problem, but after first quarter the inside of the baffle is illuminated, throwing light across the field lens of the eyepiece. This fills the field of view with light. Not good. Trying to watch occultations of stars on the dark limb of the moon is also impeeded.

#10 Motokid600

Motokid600

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, New Jersey

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I was planning on overhauling my C11 soon. Going to try and go the whole 9 yards with a carbon fiber tube and all. Think flocking would be worth it?

#11 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I flocked the inside of my C11 and also did the area inside the secondary holder. I had the scope apart to fix something and figured what the heck. Can't honestly say I see any difference but it's nice to know it's there. It's also easy to do. Get the flocking material from Protostar. If you get the thicker backed material for scopes larger than 10", it has enough stiffness to practically hold itself up against the inside of the tube. I still fastened it with velcro pads anyway. Gerry

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yea, couldn't hurt. Just be sure to leave a few mm gap near the top of the baffle. If it's the sticky kind of flocking paper, don't install in permanently until you's satisfied everything is just fine. Just roll it and let it expand inside the baffle.

You can gently pole out any kinks in the paper so nothing sticks into the light path. Do a quick out of focus star test to see if the paper is infringing on the light cone. You might see an odd shape on one edge of the de-focused image. If so, fix it (pull it back from the top or smooth out the wrinkle) and press on.

#13 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I was planning on overhauling my C11 soon. Going to try and go the whole 9 yards with a carbon fiber tube and all. Think flocking would be worth it?

It's your telescope, and you can do what ever you want with it, but you do realize that carbon fiber tubes take longer to reach ambient air temperature. If you insulated it even more with flocking material it may never reach ambient temps.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics