• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Seeing is average. Clouds in and out, but I have a ton of captures to process, here are a few from the middle of things. I have a feeling I need to check collimation, it may be a bit off (I still have never collimated the darn telescope :) ).

Attached Files

#2 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Here is an animation of my first 4 captures.

Attached Files

#3 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Nice detail for the conditions, z. Is this with the new ASI cam?

#4 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Yup, with the new camera. I'm giving it a workout tonight :). The clouds are light enough to be able to image through. So far I have captured like 330GB of data, more than I expected to get since I thought the weather would shut me down. Probably have a half hour or so more of capture time before Jupiter hits the garage roof... but just looked at the laptop screen and it looks like seeing is going downhill fast. AS!2 is going to get a workout while I'm sleeping a bit later. Batch processing for the win!

Here is an image from about a half hour ago...

Attached Files

#5 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

These look a bit noisier than your previous effort -- I assume due to the conditions, but the new cam is a real improvement over your webcam with regard to fine detail.

That batch processing capability that Emil has given us is really great. I processed my entire last run after the first capture this way. I didn't know it was there until recently when Emil pointed it out to me. :o

I'm joining the ASI club -- I ordered the ASI120MM. Sam tells me it's on the way today.

Hope you get some good seeing soon.

#6 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Yea, I need to play around with the processing a bit. I was using the same wavelet settings from the last time, but I guess the seeing wasn't good enough to press the processing like before. I also used a shorter exposure and higher gain than last time and that may have something to do with it also.

I thought I could do all of my processing of the images on my laptop, but it is soooooo slow. It may be faster to transfer the 360+ GB of files to my desktop and then do them on the desktop.

#7 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

320Gb one night?

#8 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

320Gb one night?

Yup. I was basically shooting continuously from 8pm till 1:45am. Each video was 110s long at around 65fps.

Attached Files

#9 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

I run into that -- you're probably already fully aware of this, but when my data isn't as good, I definitely have to back off the wavelets. Different image scales also demand completely different wavelet schemes, like when doing 1.5x or 3x interpolation in AS!2.

I always transfer all my images to my desktop for processing also, usually overnight. I have a quad core there, so it makes a big difference.

#10 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I kinda wish I had kept the scope out last night after looking at your images. The stars were just twinkling so nicely here I thought imaging a planet was futile.

#11 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I do have to say that having a better camera makes a world of difference. Last night If I was running my SPC900NC, I would have probably processed one or two of the .avis and then packed it in for the night. With iffy seeing, that camera just cannot capture enough good frames to stack.

With those images above, I was capturing for 110s at around 60fps...and that is giving me about 6800 frames to play with. I would only have had 2200 frames with the webcam. With the seeing last night, I probably should have went for 3 minutes just so I had more frames to stack, but I made a decision early on and stuck with it.

There was something weird last night. I went out to refocus and I was having trouble focusing because there really wasn't a feature or moon to focus on. I processed one of those .avis last night and although the features didn't look as sharp, it looked nicer and smoother. Weird.

Decided to transfer all of the .avis to my 2TB external drive, but I only had like 180GB left on it. Ended up deleting something like 900GB of .avi files I had gathered over the past 4 yrs. I've kept them "just in case" but no new comet/asteroid strikes on the planets have led me to go back to check out the archives so they went into the recycle bin. Took about 5 hours to copy them to the external drive, and earlier I set up AS!2 to batch stack, Its a little more than 2/3 the way done...then the fun part starts, wish R6 had a batch wavelet feature :p.

BTW, after that final image with the GRS I posted, the seeing really fell off a cliff. I looked at the screen and could see Jupiter being torn in thirds by the turbulence. Funny thing was I transferred one of the .avis and it didn't look half bad!

#12 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

I think capture 3 mins is a good choose.
Hi z
I PMed you and hope you can test the new driver of ASI120MC

#13 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Got the message Sam, I'll give the new drivers a try next time out.

I've gotten through all of the videos and put together a video animation of the captures.

I'm a little disappointed with the captures I got this time out. I know that seeing wasn't that great, but when putting together the animation, I can see evidence that I may have had the gain a little too high because I was getting some horizontal artifacts that you can see changing between frames.

I may be wrong about the gain though because I used a USB extension (I can hear Sam yelling at me right now!) and I may have ran into some electrical interference or degradation because of the extension. Something else I need to test the next time out.

#14 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

If preview is ok then USB extention is no problem.
because all tranfer data are digital.So you can't preview or can only preview in half speed because of USB extention which cause some transfer error.
That's a nice video. may I add it to our facebook?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics