#26 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

John,

I just tried your procedure inside. Between step 2 and step 3, I had to put in the location, time zone, date and time before I could enable the auxiliary encoders. Once I enabled the aux encoders, moved to a fake Sun position and started solar tracking, the mount began to do so. I went to show positon and could see the alt and az changing.

So my question is do you have to enter all the values stated after setting AZ mode?

Jack

#27 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

Hi Jack,

I don't know. I guess it would not matter since you are manually aligning to a spot in the sky. I just do it as a matter of course. The HC does save the location and time zone from your last session (at least it has for me) so you would only have to enter the date and time.

JohnD

#28 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'm extremely intrigued by this mount and am considering it as an upgrade for my Sirius EQ-G. I have some concerns, however, over the belt drives. What happens if/when a belt breaks? Especially if it's in alt/az mode? What's the projected lifespan of the belts? Is there a suggested replacement schedule for them?

How long does a timing belt last on an automobile? The relatively slow speed of the mount, even during go-tos, will mean that this is likely something you'll never have to worry about.

#29 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Love this mount

Only use in altaz mode

TEC 140 with bino viewer as primary scope
TV NP 101 with Ethos as secondary

Gotos are great, tracking wonderful, stable enough if my nose hits the bino viewer, vibration stops quick, excellent software,,,and love the nose she makes....soooo much more pleasing than the metallic whiring with my CGE PRO....which is also working great for me....looking forward to putting the new StarSense camera on the Pro to automate the whole aligning task.

The AZ EQ6 takes 2 minutes to align..i use the GPS module then align on 2 stars...now i am using Rigel and Capella and thats it.

#30 Skrenlin

Skrenlin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Chicagoland area

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm extremely intrigued by this mount and am considering it as an upgrade for my Sirius EQ-G. I have some concerns, however, over the belt drives. What happens if/when a belt breaks? Especially if it's in alt/az mode? What's the projected lifespan of the belts? Is there a suggested replacement schedule for them?

How long does a timing belt last on an automobile? The relatively slow speed of the mount, even during go-tos, will mean that this is likely something you'll never have to worry about.

Judging by the belts pictured in the one picture I've seen of them, they are very much not constructed like timing belts in cars, but more like drive belts in cd players and tape drives. Those are very prone to dry-rot and tend to get all crumbly over time. That, of course, is judging strictly by the color and translucence of the belts I saw in the picture.

#31 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Again, they will be used so infrequently and gently, relatively speaking, that you have nothing to worry about IMNSHO. :gramps:

#32 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Howard,

How much clearance do you have when using the TEC-140 at the zenith? Are you on a pier or the tripod?

I wonder how this would do with a C11 EdgeHD and a modest refractor on the mount in Alt/Az?

#33 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Jeff
Am on the tripod

Clears the tripod at zenith no problem
However with the Denk power switch which sticks out 3 inches either side of the focuser then this will hit the tripod leg at anywhere from about 80 degrees up......but this could be adjusted out by moving the TEC forward and rebalancing the second scope, etc.

#34 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks. I mostly use my TEC-140 on a DM6 but tracking is nice sometimes for public outreach. Currently my tracking mount is an AP900GTO but it lives full time on a concrete pier at my home. I only move it for multi-night star parties for imaging.

#35 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I am very happy with the az eq6 for my 140

Breeze though at medium mag will jostle the view.....the scoe is near 4' long after all.

Gotos are excellent, very quick to align and tracking seems great

#36 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Jeff,

I mounted my C9.25 onto my AZ-EQ6 and the mount did not flinch. When I take the OTA off of my CPC1100 mount for setup on my CGE PRO in my observatory, I will also try it on the AZ-EQ6. I am sure that this will not be a problem.

Jack Huerkamp

#37 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Can anyone say if the tripod assembly is exactly the same as the current standard Atlas? I am curious since I have a Losmandy HD tripod and Optical Supports adapter to mount a standard Atlas...I'd like to be able to do the same with the AZ model if possible. Thanks!

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#38 LTE

LTE

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

The last two nights were clear and I tried my AZ-EQ6 in altaz mode. I had a slow start because I thought the manual advice that there was no required starting position meant a free choice, but in fact I found it only worked if the up arrow moves the telescope up in altitude, so the telescope must be east of the pier to start with. Once that was accepted, it went perfectly. After two calibration stars, GoTos were all central in the field, better than any fork mounted CAT I have used attains regularly and at least as good as my CG-5 achieves after six calibration stars. The smoothness and solidity is really impressive. The RA and Dec clamps are well designed and grip over a range, instead of going tight in a short turn and needing a tool to undo at dawn.
There are a few inconveniences: there are lots of things for the power cable to snag on, especially as it has a fat component (fuse?) located near the mount end of the cable. The handbox cable is very short and while adequate for a CAT, is difficult to reach from a Newtonian observing position - I have a Skywatcher 8in F5. There are too few slots for user objects and the procedure to enter them when needed requires more keystrokes than some other mounts do.
For comparison, I can enter a night's worth of variable stars in the memory of my LX80, which speeds up the observing. However, these are minor faults which can be fixed. This is a great mount.

Tom.

#39 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Agree with all comments

Hand contol cable too short
Velcro it to the top of all 3 legs

#40 Frank @ Van

Frank @ Van

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I found that you can use a long Ethernet cable to replace the one comes with the mount.

#41 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Frank...this is great info

Is it a standard ethernet cable then?

#42 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I found that you can use a long Ethernet cable to replace the one comes with the mount.

i have been advised NOT to use a standard ethernet cable.

#43 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I just checked the pin for pin continuity on my AZ-EQ6 handset cable vs. a straight through Ethernet cable and they both appear to be straight through. Oh sure the wire colors are different (one is using a telephone industry standard wire colors and the other is using an Ethernet standard wire colors), but the pin for pin continuity appears to be the same. In the case of a handset cable, I don't think it matters how that pin for pin continuity gets there, just that it does. Or am I somehow tragically mistaken?

#44 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

The normal Ethernet cable has a pair of wire switched. The straight through one should be OK.

#45 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Normal Ethernet patch cables are straight through. With 10/100 Ethernet, cross-over cables were needed when going direct NIC to NIC without a hub or switch inbetween. These days most NICs are auto-MDIX and all gigabit Ethernet NICs are auto-MDIX by definition. So cross-over cables are rarely needed with most Ethernet equipment manufactured in the last five years or so. If in doubt, get out the DVM or VOM set to continuity test and check the continuity. For this particular (non-Ethernet) application it doesn't matter which wires, pairs, split pairs, etc. are used in the cable so long as the net resulting continuity measures pin 1-1, 2-2, ..., 8-8. And make sure you are holding both ends of the cable in the same orientation so that you're not accidentally measuring 1-8, 2-7, etc.

#46 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

My computer is still using 10/100 Ethernet :-(

#47 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

Congrats on the mount! What are people getting for PE?

#48 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

John,

I FINALLY got the AZ-EQ6 out today. I was in a rush and set it up without leveling. I roughly set the Lunt 80 to North and parallel to the ground. I moved the mount to the Sun and set the Tracking Rate to Solar. At that point the mount did track the Sun fairly accurately. The next time I do some solar with the mount and Lunt, I will take more time to level it and more precisely position the OTA to the Home position. Here is a picture of the setup:

Posted Image

Thanks for figuring out how to set up and do solar with the AZ-EQ6.

Jack Huerkamp

#49 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

And from the other side:

Posted Image

Jack Huerkamp

#50 frolinmod