15 replies to this topic

#1 David-in-China

David-in-China

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fujian Province, P.R. China

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

It was planned for 6-8 months from now, but the $1995 price
has me thinking. 2013 plans included a 9.25 Celestron Edge and Star Watcher's HEDQ-5.

Anyone else with similar thoughts? Start the program now
or wait?

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Life is short and uncertain. Go for it, I say!

- Jim

#3 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

The good, I love mine ... I am now completely in remission when it comes to aperture fever ;). As long as you have the mount for it (CGEM / Atlas class), go for it. For comparisons, the guy with the 16" Dob in my club (yeah one of those guys), was really impressed. At our "dark", urban site, the views were pretty close with the ES127 giving a bit better contrast.

The bad, the ES127 is not for those who also suffer from "upgraditis". I ended up replacing the the focuser with a Moonlite and the rail with a Losmandy D style plate. Tempted to still put better rings on it also.

#4 morrisng2

morrisng2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Who has it for $1995? I am jumping on it please let me know!

#5 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Go for it, I uses to have one (I miss it dearly) on a cg5 mount with no problems...

#6 David-in-China

David-in-China

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fujian Province, P.R. China

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Try this:
http://telescopes.ne...-air-spaced-...

#7 morrisng2

morrisng2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Thanks! Just took the dive and order one:)

#8 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I use it on my CG5 all the time and love it! For example I wasn't planning on doing any observing last night (work night) but at 8:30 pm I saw that there was a break in the clouds so I popped open the garage, took out the CG5, mounted up the 127mm and was observing. Total time from decision to looking at something was 10 minutes.

Sadly I lost track of time and ended up observing for the next two hours which meant that by the time I came down off the "high" from observing, cleaned up, handled a bit of misc. honey-do's etc I only got about 4 hours of sleep! ;)

I was using a 11mm ES 82* to look at the Orion nebula and was amazed at the level of detail on the cloud (this was the first time I looked at Orion in it). It was crystal clear with great contrast.

The one thing I recommend (if you use it on a CG5 or it's analog) is to get the pier extension from Orion. It will allow you to keep the legs retracted on the tripod and not have to lay on the ground to see something near zenith. It also stops the OTA from hitting the tripod legs. Well worth the cost.

#9 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

The bad, the ES127 is not for those who also suffer from "upgraditis". I ended up replacing the the focuser with a Moonlite and the rail with a Losmandy D style plate. Tempted to still put better rings on it also.

It's a very, very nice telescope. I have used mine visually and it's a very impressive scope. It's my main imaging scope and I've been very happy with it for the money invested. I also added a motorized Moonlite focuser, Losmandy rail and Parallax rings. I added the motorized Moonlite so I could automate the entire imaging process including focusing the telescop. Even with all those upgrades I'm imaging with a 5" triplet that does a really nice job for less than $3000.

Some images taken with the scope:

Melotte 15 narrowband
Abell 85 - Supernova remnant in Cassiopeia

I wrote my own review on the scope awhile back: http://mike-wiles.bl...ific-ed127.html

I understand that the newest production version of the scope actually addresses the handful of complaints that I have about it in the review. I bought mine as well for $1995 back when they were still at the introductory price. I've not regretted a penny of that money spent.

Mike

#10 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

How long does it take to cool down?

#11 EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lomita, CA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

It's a very, very nice telescope. I have used mine visually and it's a very impressive scope. It's my main imaging scope and I've been very happy with it for the money invested. I also added a motorized Moonlite focuser, Losmandy rail and Parallax rings. I added the motorized Moonlite so I could automate the entire imaging process including focusing the telescop. Even with all those upgrades I'm imaging with a 5" triplet that does a really nice job for less than $3000.

Some images taken with the scope:

Melotte 15 narrowband
Abell 85 - Supernova remnant in Cassiopeia

I wrote my own review on the scope awhile back: http://mike-wiles.bl...ific-ed127.html

I understand that the newest production version of the scope actually addresses the handful of complaints that I have about it in the review. I bought mine as well for $1995 back when they were still at the introductory price. I've not regretted a penny of that money spent.

Mike

Those are amazing images!!!! :bow:

#12 dlpville

dlpville

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm very impressed with the images, especially the image of Melotte 15. This level of detail with what is considered a "budget" scope shows what can be done when one understands the equipment.

Keep up the great work,
davel

#13 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Davel & Ed,

Thanks for the compliments on my images. I give all of the credit to the telescope. The ED127 is a supremely underrated telescope.

Mike

#14 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

How long does it take to cool down?

For visual use? By the time you have finished setting up the mount/scope and 2 star plus 4 calibration star alignment (if you take as much time as I do which is 10-15 minutes) it is ready for use.

For AP not much longer than that based on my limited experience with it for that.

#15 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Nice images; well done.

#16 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Cool down times are proportional to the temperature differential you need to address. When I was looking at the CF I found a comment by a gentleman in Ontario who said it took an hour or maybe more for his 127 CF to cool from the indoor temperature of his house to the outdoor temp in winter. These look like really nice scopes though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics