CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier Setup where to get Also need adapter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hello

Trying to setup a permanent pier for my now Sirius Mount
Where do a I get a reasonably priced pier and adapter.

Saw one for 1500.00 An 8 inch tube 36 inches long with flange Thought that was wayyyyy toooooo much money.

Plan on a 12 inch sono tube Not sure how deep too bury it??

Thanks

Greg

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

You can check out www.skyshed.com They sell the POD as well as ROR observatories and Piers.

#3 broca

broca

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ocala, FL

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Have you thought of building one? I bought 2 steel plates (from a scrap metal shop for $20.00) that I bolted to a concrete pier poured in a sono tube 4 feet in the ground and maybe 3 feet high (I'm not exact on my numbers :crazy:). I bolted the bottom plate to the pier then I bolted a top plate to then bolt to the "adapter" taken from the tripod. I used this a guide . When I used a CG-5 I took the top off from the tripod and bolted that to the top plate. Now, I am using a G11 and I have an adapter bolted to the top plate. This is not a good picture but this is the CG-5. Here is the G-11 mounted. Another option is to buy a pier plate from here. My project took a weekend and cost less than $80.00.

#4 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Have you thought of building one? I bought 2 steel plates (from a scrap metal shop for $20.00) that I bolted to a concrete pier poured in a sono tube 4 feet in the ground and maybe 3 feet high (I'm not exact on my numbers :crazy:). I bolted the bottom plate to the pier then I bolted a top plate to then bolt to the "adapter" taken from the tripod. I used this a guide . When I used a CG-5 I took the top off from the tripod and bolted that to the top plate. Now, I am using a G11 and I have an adapter bolted to the top plate. This is not a good picture but this is the CG-5. Here is the G-11 mounted. Another option is to buy a pier plate from here. My project took a weekend and cost less than $80.00.

Thats a great Idea never though of that one

#5 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

You can check out www.skyshed.com They sell the POD as well as ROR observatories and Piers.

thanks looks Good

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well sonotube, rebar and concrete are pretty cheap. As a rule of thumb you should have more concrete in the ground than above the ground. Ideally, you should shoot for a foundation that is larger than your pier. A 18" by 4' deep footing should do. Figure 900#s of concrete mix (dry) will be needed to fill that hole. A Sirius should be happy on a 6-8" pier. 80 to 400#s should fill your tube depending if it's 6" by 3' or 8" by 4'.

A steel pier top is nice if you have the tools to work with it, but laminated plywood 1.5" thick is easier to work and just as rigid as 1/2" steel.

If you have access to a CAD program that can output Autocad files you can design your pier top and take to the files to a steel fabricator. They will use CAD-CAM plasma, laser or water jets to cut your parts. Cost should not be not excessive.

#7 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Well sonotube, rebar and concrete are pretty cheap. As a rule of thumb you should have more concrete in the ground than above the ground. Ideally, you should shoot for a foundation that is larger than your pier. A 18" by 4' deep footing should do. Figure 900#s of concrete mix (dry) will be needed to fill that hole. A Sirius should be happy on a 6-8" pier. 80 to 400#s should fill your tube depending if it's 6" by 3' or 8" by 4'.

A steel pier top is nice if you have the tools to work with it, but laminated plywood 1.5" thick is easier to work and just as rigid as 1/2" steel.

If you have access to a CAD program that can output Autocad files you can design your pier top and take to the files to a steel fabricator. They will use CAD-CAM plasma, laser or water jets to cut your parts. Cost should not be not excessive.

Another great reply Thanks.... I also heard that PVC pipe is better than the sono tube route for looks etc

#8 CharlesW

CharlesW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

If you are taking about the form marks left by the Sonotube you're right. But if you can shell out the considerable bucks, Sonotube makes a tube that leaves a smooth finish.

#9 broca

broca

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ocala, FL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

...and I've seen someone lay 1" ceramic tile around the pier to cover the concrete. It was pretty classy.

#10 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have a 14" diameter concrete pier protruding 30" above the floor of my observatory, buried 8' underground and anchored to a block of concrete weighing 5000 pounds. Overkill? Maybe, but it is rock steady. Three threaded j-bars protuding from the top are anchored to a home-made pier top for the CGE Pro and the C14HD.

However, if I were to do it again, I would have a concrete platform only with no pier. It is too hard to adjust the height of my pier; it can be lowered with a concrete saw (very messy) and raising the height would be a whole new problem. Also, if I decided to go back to dobs, I would have to amputate the whole thing at the floor level and then have no foundation for the dob base.

Think twice before committing to a concrete pier; a concrete platform with a steel pier bolted to it allows far more flexibility. Lou

#11 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

lou makes a good point
My concrete pier goes down 4 feet into the ground but is flush with the concrete slab that is the floor of my POD.I then have a steel pier. This way when I sell my house they can just cut the bolts embedded in the pier and fill in around the pier and then wthey will have a flat surface.

#12 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Steel isn't cheap, but scrap only brings $0.15 or so a pound. Four feet of 10" SCH 40 (10.75 OD X .365 wall) A-500 ERW Structural Carbon Steel Pipe will run you about $250 new, probably under $50 at the scrap yard. About the same for some plate for a base top and gussets. Dumpster diving at demolition sites may be even cheaper. Here' a steel pier that uses square tube of the type more commonly used in buildings and found in demolition scrap.

Attached Files

#13 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

You can build the same type of pier I did, 4x 6x6 pressure treated wood pier. Cost less than $150 and only took a few hours to setup.

Wood Pier

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics