Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yukky weather here in RI since Christmas....hoping for next week!!!! :shrug: :p

#127 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

I've not seen anything yes, but like norton67 we've been almost entirely cloudy for the last 5 weeks or so here near Chicago. I had one clear night a few days ago, but it wasn't really clear in the evening hours. Skies are SUPPOSED to be only "partly cloudy" for the next several days, but whether that means clear to the west at sunset is another matter altogether.

I made some daily "here's where the comet is at exactly 30 minutes past sunset" charts to help both photographers (and me!) find the comet's location every day. So far I just have March 10 through 17 up, but I'll be posting graphics for it's location through early April, as the comet, though fading in magnitude, will be near M31 once it gains a bit of elevation and moves more northward.

http://eyesonthesky....tPANSTARRS.aspx

(I also made that page to contain lots of caveats about seeing it in sunlight/twilight, as many press reports seem to suggest that a 1st magnitude object is "spectacular" or "dazzling" in twilight. Having viewed Mercury many times at dusk, my caution is to simply lower expectations as I don't believe this comet will reach Hale-Bopp-type visibility. So take my caution written on that page with a grain of salt if you're used to comet observing like this - it's meant to manage what people can expect to see. And I'd much rather be wrong about it appearing dim or hard-to-see than suggesting to the general public that it looks really, really bright.)

#128 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canton, OH

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Here's some awesome footage of C/2011 L4 with low-light cameras, both wide-angle and through a 10" reflector, from the Northern Tablelands of Australia:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7xvILkuznQ0

Clear Skies,
Phil

#129 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thank you Dave!

Mike

#130 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Vanguard

• Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

I am ridiculously excited about seeing this. I will be downtown Toronto on the 14, so no chance of seeing it then - need to hope for a couple of clear nights on the 12th or 13th... :fingerscrossed:

#131 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Has anyone spotted it in the evening twilight yet from northern latitudes? No luck yet at 35N...

CN member PrestonE reported seeing it at 6:50 p.m. on March 4 from an altitude of 6,000 feeet in Mexico (21 degrees north).

http://www.cloudynig...enobs/Number...

Dave Mitsky

#132 Mike B.

Mike B.

Vanguard

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I tried last night (3/5/13) with a pair of Celestron 15x70 binoculars, but I was unable to spot it. (I'm at 30 degrees N. Latitude.) There was too much murk and clouds on the horizon. I will try again tonight with the bino's, since it is much clearer today. Plus, I have an old CG3 mount w/clockdrive and my camera mounted on it that I plan on using to take some images. I might get lucky.

#133 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just saw it tonight at 6:30 pm in NC. Very bright and naked eye for sure! Binoculras showed a streak, so no star. Only about 5-10* over the horizon and visible for about 15 min. before it sank. Looks really promising:)

Bob

#134 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

I tried last night (3/5/13) with a pair of Celestron 15x70 binoculars, but I was unable to spot it. (I'm at 30 degrees N. Latitude.) There was too much murk and clouds on the horizon. I will try again tonight with the bino's, since it is much clearer today. Plus, I have an old CG3 mount w/clockdrive and my camera mounted on it that I plan on using to take some images. I might get lucky.

Good luck Mike. I found a clear open view to the west on the way home from work last night at an abandoned road that dead ends into an open field. I can see the california coast mountains heading toward the bay area maybe 60 miles away. Im carrying my new 25 x 100 Orbies with me every evening now in hopes to catch an early glimpse and this weekend plan to set up my 180mm F/6 APM scope out there with my 41 pan and 2" swan band filter. Its show time! :tonofbricks:

...Ralph

#135 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Just saw it tonight at 6:30 pm in NC.

Thanks for the heads-up Bob. Looks like I might have a shot at it this Friday.

#136 Foehammer

Foehammer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Has anyone spotted it in the evening twilight yet from northern latitudes? No luck yet at 35N...

Was attempting just that yesyerday evening with those crystal clear conditions we had. No luck! Will attempt again today if conditions hold!

#137 PrestonE

PrestonE

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

I attempted for the past 2 evenings, but clouds and haze to the west prevented seeing it again.

From my seeing notes and with the clear skys this morning I am hopeful for this evening.

I am at 20 d 53.572 and 100 d 45.962 at 1904 meters elevation with a totally clear view across our lake...

Will post again this evening.

Very Best Regards,

Preston

#138 Ben B

Ben B

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: GA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I originally posted this in another thread, but I had no problem finding it from 33 N during March 6's twilight. I snagged a couple of pictures with my point-and-shoot camera and posted them online at http://www.flickr.co...7632937591972/.

To see it I ended up using a topographical map to find a local ridge about 35 minutes away from my house. But, after seeing how high it was when first visible (almost 4 degrees above the horizon) I'm fairly certain I could have seen it from the top of a parking garage in our little downtown square.

Weather permitting I plan to take my 80mm refractor to the parking garage tonight and grab some better pictures.

#139 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Was attempting just that yesyerday evening with those crystal clear conditions we had. No luck! Will attempt again today if conditions hold!

Depending from where you searched, it should had been visible. I tried from the roof at Acropolis through openings between the tall buildings (no time to go outside Nicosia). At 18.01 I could spot stars of magnitude 3 with my 15x70s, but I believe the comet was hidden behind the Pahit-ice court. Maybe we'll get an opening in the clouds tomorrow, as Saturday is again [predicted cloudy.

#140 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Ben, I'm at bit perplexed by your posted images of PanSTARRS from last evening. From the images the apparent direction of the tail is contrary to what it should have been. In your images the "tail" seems inclined decidedly toward the northwest at perhaps a 45 degree angle (to the image's right). The calculated direction for the tail last evening should have had it pointing toward the southwest at about a low 30-40 degree angle (toward the image's left). Did you happen to follow the object long enough to clearly see that it shared in the diurnal rotation of the sky?

I would be very interested to see if you can spot and image the comet this evening and get the same appearance.

BrooksObs

#141 stargazer424

stargazer424

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

How high in the sky will it get? I live in NJ and haven't seen a comet since Hale-Bopp in 1997. I am really looking forward to trying to see this one and ISON later this year.

#142 Ben B

Ben B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

I was perplexed by the tail direction as well, as the finder chart images I've seen on Sky and Telescope's website (http://www.skyandtel.../185665152.html) show the tail should be facing southwest as you said. These images have been rotated and cropped (but not mirrored) from what was originally captured on the camera, and I have a few more that didn't bring out enough detail to bother posting. I'll look over all of them again and see if I can process them in some useful way to highlight the object's movement over time.

#143 PrestonE

PrestonE

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi Ben, That looks exactly like what I saw on March 4ht at 6:50pm as far as size...a bit lower, but it is pointed in the wrong direction...I think your image got flipped...

Visually it was pointed the opposite direction toward the sun.

Wish I had thought to take a pic with my point and shoot.

The weather here Monday evening we very clear due to the northern that had passed through over the weekend with freezing weather...but it cleared out all the clouds and haze.

Best Regards,

Preston

#144 Mike B.

Mike B.

Vanguard

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Good luck Mike. I found a clear open view to the west on the way home from work last night at an abandoned road that dead ends into an open field. I can see the california coast mountains heading toward the bay area maybe 60 miles away. Im carrying my 20x80 binos with me every evening now in hopes to catch an early glimpse and this weekend plan to set up my 180mm F/6 APM scope out there with my 41 pan and 2" swan band filter. Its show time! :tonofbricks:

...Ralph

Ralph, I struck out again (on Wed, Mar 6th, 2013.). :(

The sub-tropical jet stream moved in and was pushing lots of high altitude clouds from the west-southwest, exactly where the comet would have been. It was clear for most of that day, too. Oh, well...

I have one more clear evening before it clouds up for some rain forecast for this weekend. It is supposed to be clear again on March 12th, just in time to catch Comet Panstarrs and the moon low in the west. Hopefully, I'll see it then if I don't get to see it tonight.

#145 Ben B

Ben B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Given that the tail directions in my picture looks wrong and I cannot find any conclusive evidence to refute that, count me out as someone who has seen the comet. While I very well may have seen it in binoculars, I cannot be sure. I'll try again tonight.

#146 PrestonE

PrestonE

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi Ben,

Tony Flanders with Sky & Telescope just replied to an email that I sent to him this morning with your pictures attached.

He is thinking that it is a con trail as between the two pictures the clouds moved a great deal and also the imaged item.

Take a look at the dim white structure on the hill side and the relation of the imaged item in the two pictures...it has moved TOO much against the background to be the comet.

This may explain some things...hopefully tonight we all have clear skys!!!!!!!!!!

Very Best Regards,

Preston

#147 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Yes, Ben, after initially looking at the two images earlier my first impression was that they were of very distance aircraft con trails seen in greatly foreshortened perspective, especially given the observing circumstances you had reported (detected very shortly after sunset, but so obvious that the object could be easily photographed, with a simple camera, inferring a magnitude probably as or even brighter than Venus).

Actually, I've see these sorts of "comets" from time to time around sunset too since I'm located ~75 miles north of the metro airports in a good spot for viewing flight paths of departing planes headed west at an extreme distance.

BrooksObs

#148 Ben B

Ben B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I appreciate all the feedback, and in the future will definitely post my pictures up for comments before jumping to conclusions. So far the forecast for tonight is clear so I'll get another chance but I had too many issues with the location from last night that I'll try my luck on top of a parking deck instead.

I'll be back out with binoculars and with my 80mm refractor and DSLR already setup just in case the opportunity presents itself for a conclusive image.

#149 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canton, OH

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Dear C/2011 L4,

Please have a Comet Holmes-style outburst sometime in the near future.

Sincerely,
Everyone Reading This

(hey, one can always hope for the ol' 15-magnitude bump in brightness)

Clear Skies,
Phil

#150 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Dear C/2011 L4,

Please have a Comet Holmes-style outburst sometime in the near future.

Sincerely,
Everyone Reading This

(hey, one can always hope for the ol' 15-magnitude bump in brightness)

Clear Skies,
Phil

Man, wasn't comet holmes incredible!

...Ralph

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics