5 replies to this topic

#1 BJS

BJS

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Greetings:

A friend of mine just bought a scb4000n and tried to remove the ir filter. After resembling the camera, it did not work. He sent the camera back to samsung usa. They fixed(at no cost btw) the camera but returned the camera with the ir filter even though he instructed them not too.

My question is: has any one had trouble removing the ir filter on recent cameras and have they found that the procedure is different from ken james video guide from a couple of years ago? My friend did say that his recent camera was different from the one ken used in his video guide.

Brian

#2 BJS

BJS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Has anybody removed the it filter from one of these cameras lately?

If so, has the layout of the electronics appeared to have changed compared to ken james' tutorial?

Thanks for any input,
Brian

#3 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Ken's video was done with a scc-a2333/ The scb-4000 is different-there is a heat shield and some other slight differences- I have both- I opted to not physically remove the IR filter on the scb-4000- what I did was at first was just wedge a small rolled up piece of paper to keep the IR filter from moving over to cover ccd- then I superglued it to one side. This keeps the clear filter in place over the CCD at all times. It is probably wearing out the worm gears in the filter slide mechanism though.

#4 BJS

BJS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I was wondering if they were different. Does anyone know of a guide for removing the ir filter from the 4000?

I will hopefully have a chance this week to take a look at my friends camera and see what can be done with it. I may have to do something like you did and keep the clear "filter"in place.

Brian

#5 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Here is a thread that may help a little:

http://www.cloudynig...4506274/page...

#6 BJS

BJS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Yes, that is fantastic. Thank you very much.

Brian

Ps nice name. We brian's need too stick together :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics