CMO #405 : Bright morning fog in Tharsis on Mars

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CPellier

CPellier

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi all, the latest CMO/ISMO issue #405 has been published.
The opening essay from writer Bill Sheehan shares gravely a few thoughts about the fate of classical Mars observers, and Mars observations in general.
The second essay written by myself is the 7th note of the 2011-2012 apparition, and describes the existence and evolution of a bright "sea" of morning fog in the middle of the Tharsis volcanoes. This is an example of what we can observe from Earth - the hourly evolution of classical weather on Mars.
Illustration is a figure from the essay with an image from Manos Kardasis. Other images used are from Wayne Jaeschke, Damian Peach, Efrain Morales; Tomio Akutsu, Peter
Gorczynski and myself, with a nice terrestrial photo from Patrick Lecureuil.
Posted Image
The next issue (to be published on jan.25th) will deal with a detailed description of the afternoon orographics.
Happy imaging everyone for 2013 :)
Christophe

#2 Jipipi

Jipipi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Great Job Christophe ! as usual I would say .... :)

Very interesting analysis showing that we can see many things on our pictures if we take the time to understand what's going on. And the analogy between Earth and Mars phenomena is always very impressive.

As you write, the introduction from Bill is really not very optimistic .... not the best way to cheer up when the weather is so awful since weeks

JP

#3 CPellier

CPellier

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello JP - thanks. There are again many topics to come, the next one will detail the Tharsis afternoon orographics.
Yes Bill's essay is a bit sad. Although what I replied to him, Masatsugu and Reiichi is that obsolesence for Mars observations is also true now for ground-based CCD ! (for contemporay science). And that people is not obsolete : Bill, Masatsugu and others have still many experiences and knowledges to share...
However, look that there will always be a need of other level of knowledge than pure science - vulgarisation, education is where we can still operate ;) (and for other planets, there are more to hope !)

#4 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Always nice to have something to read on Mars as we patiently wait for his return! Thanks Christophe!

Glenn

#5 CPellier

CPellier

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Glenn. "Only" one year or about to wait ;)

#6 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

It is not the kind of fog I want to be in...carbon dioxide, methane, carbonic acid and water vapor...oh my!

#7 CPellier

CPellier

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yes it's better to see from Earth ;)

#8 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Many thanks for posting here Christophe!

Mike

#9 CPellier

CPellier

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

Thanks Mike.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics