Photo

Orion StarShoot AutoGuider work on Win 8 yet?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Anybody gotten drivers working on Windows 8 yet? I'm thinking about buying one and run Windows 8 here.

#2 shrevestan

shrevestan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I never had a problem running it on Win8. I did an upgrade on my Netbook and not a clean install, but whenever I plugged it in, it did the install drivers dialog.

#3 Erik30

Erik30

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit and all my apps see the camera. PHD, Maxdl, Nebulosity, ect. My laptop is a new clean install.

#4 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Ok great. Glad to hear that has been worked out. Thanks guys.

#5 HomerPepsi

HomerPepsi

Lift Off

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

I have been trying to get the SSAG to work on Windows 8.1 with no success. The drivers appear to install correctly but when I plug the camera into my laptop I get a message saying telling me the device failed and to reconnect it (with no success on subsequent attempts). Device manager (under Universal Serial Bus controllers tree) shows 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)'.

Manually updating the driver does not work.

Anyone know of a fix?

#6 tazer

tazer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Central North Carolina

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

HomerPepsi, do you have another non-Win8.1 machine you can test things on? I've had similar errors to what you're getting but it was ultimately due to a bad cable.

#7 HomerPepsi

HomerPepsi

Lift Off

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hi Tazer,

Works on my Win 7 Pro 64bit desktop.

I contacted orion support, here is what they said:

Dear Aaron:

Thank you. We are working on the issue.
Clear skies and good observing,
Rich N.

Looks like they are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Now time to play the waiting game.

Cheers

#8 Intensity2x

Intensity2x

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Works for me on Win 8 and Win 8.1. I think many of the problems people have had were related to USB 3.0. I would make sure you have at least 1 USB 2.0 port just to be safe.

#9 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi Tazer,

Works on my Win 7 Pro 64bit desktop.

I contacted orion support, here is what they said:

Dear Aaron:

Thank you. We are working on the issue.
Clear skies and good observing,
Rich N.

Looks like they are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Now time to play the waiting game.

Cheers

I just tried my new SSAG in my Win 8 machine and nothing I do can make it find the camera. SO FRUSTRATING!!

I checked the Orion product support, product driver section and downloaded what they had. No joy!

Has Orion come back and supplied a usable driver yet for Win 8???

#10 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

It boils down to one thing and one thing only.

USB 2 port !!!

That's it.

If you plug the SSAG in USB 3 port on your Windows 8 computer it will not work in most cases. If your computer has both usb 2 and 3 ports make sure you plug it in the usb 2 port. If your computer only has usb 3 ports you may have to change a bios setting to force down your usb 3 ports to operate as usb 2 ports. This is what I had to do to get my SSAG working... and it took me over 2 months of frustration before finding the solution.

Hope this helps,

Guylain

#11 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

It boils down to one thing and one thing only.

USB 2 port !!!

That's it.

If you plug the SSAG in USB 3 port on your Windows 8 computer it will not work in most cases. If your computer has both usb 2 and 3 ports make sure you plug it in the usb 2 port. If your computer only has usb 3 ports you may have to change a bios setting to force down your usb 3 ports to operate as usb 2 ports. This is what I had to do to get my SSAG working... and it took me over 2 months of frustration before finding the solution.

Hope this helps,

Guylain

Thanks Guylain!

I have 4 USB ports and they are all 3.0.... This is so infuriating.

#12 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

What gets me is, I have about half a dozen other USB devices I plug into to this new laptop and they all work fine. Orion needs to get on the ball and update their camera driver to work correctly with USB 3.0. USB 3.0 has been out for 5 years and Win 8 has been out for 15 months... just ridiculous that they don't have this solved by now with a correct driver. I shouldn't have to go into the BIOS and dumb down my machine.

#13 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Works for me on Win 8 and Win 8.1. I think many of the problems people have had were related to USB 3.0. I would make sure you have at least 1 USB 2.0 port just to be safe.

Ditto. Didn't work for me on USB 3.0, worked with no problems on USB 2.0.

From USB 2.0 I can verify that PHD, BYEOS, Stellarium and AstroTortilla all work (with a CG-5 mount, T3i camera and SSAG) for both Win 8 and 8.1.

BTW, I also use a small unpowered (Amazon Essentials) USB 2.0 hub to connect SSAG, camera and scope (three cables) without any problems.

#14 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hello Stelios,

Are you suggesting that by putting a USB 2.0 hub in the camera cable path, it solves the problem?

#15 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hello Stelios,

Are you suggesting that by putting a USB 2.0 hub in the camera cable path, it solves the problem?

That may actually work, I need to try it too.

Guylain

#16 DrDispatch

DrDispatch

Ranger 4

• Loc: Spf, Mo

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

KISS rules boys!
:foreheadslap: :question: :tonofbricks:

#17 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hello Stelios,

Guylain

Cost me $12.00 for a 4 port USB 2.0 hub and....

Nada! Boat anchor.

Orion Tech Support wrote back today, twice, the first time to have me do all the dummy stuff (uninstall, reinstall, yadda, yadda, yadda) and of course that didn't work. So I let them know that ....and asked again when a proper driver was going to be available. The second response was "we are aware of the problem, there is no date for a driver solution to get all Win 8 USB 3.0 users working."

Great!! I'll sell the SSAG, buy another AG camera that is known to work, and never, ever, ever buy another Orion product again. The bridge is burned. They don't seem to care.

#18 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

so, out of idle curiosity, I went into UEFI and changed the USB configuration to neuter the 3.0 ports and rebooted.

Sure enough, the "bleeping" SSAG works. But now my high speed other USB devices run S-L-O-W.

What a bunch of horse-pucky!

#19 DrDispatch

DrDispatch

Ranger 4

• Loc: Spf, Mo

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

I found one guy that RE installed his USB 3.0 drivers and USB 2.0 started working. that may need updating for win 8.0
if it simply wont work after that.
find a USB to serial->then serial to USB 2.OH adapter. beat it that way.
I own software company and I kind of think the USB driver may need upgrade. when vista and win 7 hit. most printers etc had several changes to the software drv to make all work

#20 DDWMANAGER

DDWMANAGER

Lift Off

• Loc: NE

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

I am in the same boat with SSAG and a Windows 8.1 / USB 3 laptop. I installed the SSAG drivers on a Windows 7 / USB 2 laptop but I have not had a chance to try the setup but I expect it to work fine. But much slower than the i7 Windows 8.1 system. I tried dumming down the USB3 to USB2 but could not find the BIOS setting to do so. I hope you find something but based upon Orion history the right driver will be available in 2016. :bawling:

#21 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but on bootup press F8 and select the option to enable legacy drivers.

I thought microsoft added this functionality. Not sure if it affects system stability though.

#22 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

so, out of idle curiosity, I went into UEFI and changed the USB configuration to neuter the 3.0 ports and rebooted.

Sure enough, the "bleeping" SSAG works. But now my high speed other USB devices run S-L-O-W.

What a bunch of horse-pucky!

That is what I ended up doing too. BYE BYE USB 3, hello USB 2 :(

Guylain

#23 bambi851

bambi851

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santiago, Chile

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hello Stelios,

Guylain

Hi

I had the same problem. Windows 8 Starshoot Autoguider.

I just pulled an old USB2 hub from a box, plugged it in, windows 8 said, installing usb hub, then I plugged in the starshoot and windows 8 said, installing starshoot.

Loaded up PHD and the camera connected first time!

Thanks guys

David

#24 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

The windows 8 driver USB driver does not play well with some chipsets, notably ones by Intel (Doh!). And Intel does not support them under Windows 8 leaving you to use the Windows drivers. The USB 2.0 hub trick solves the problem for me with devices that have trouble.

There is plenty out there about this problem including workarounds to try and install the Intel Windows 7 drivers. I'll stick to the USB 2.0 hub solution myself.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics