New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#51 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Fulfilling a Lifelong Dream: I did not realize how BIG the scopes were until I turned to the third page of the article and saw the picture of the author's lovely daughter-in-law standing next to the mounts to provide perspective.

Also enjoyed the historical article about the moon and the civil war submarine.

#52 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

reviewing the posts
4-5 to 1 in favor of the sub story

edj

#53 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I have no problem with the article.

Rich (RLTYS)

#54 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

For me the strangest thing about the issue was after reading the article on video astronomy, I have this strange, unshakable desire for some bourbon, particularly Rebel Yell. And I have no idea why.

#55 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

reviewing the posts
4-5 to 1 in favor of the sub story

8 to 1 in favor of the daughter-in-law. (That's people, not posts)

#56 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

This has got to be the silliest bit of nit-picking I've seen in almost ten years involvement with CN. This thread just jumped the shark for me. :ohmy:

:ubetcha:

#57 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

My first reaction was that I wished that some of that 6 pages was devoted to some telescope making articles....then I got my issue and discovered that Telescope Workshop got 2 pages this month, and there is also a 4 page spread on building observatories. That makes 6 pages, so I have to abandon any misgivings I might have had for the article.

Frankly, there's always stuff that doesn't interest me, and I skip over it. Just as long as there is some stuff I like, I'm happy. I don't have to like all of it.

#58 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

This has got to be the silliest bit of nit-picking I've seen in almost ten years involvement with CN. This thread just jumped the shark for me. :ohmy:

Yeah what Tom said.......ty Thomas.

#59 meteorite

meteorite

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

I just read the sub article. I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was off topic. I also enjoyed the Frankenstein article a few issues back and the Titanic article. I love history and the way astronomical events may have played a part in historical events.

Many of my non-astronomy friends don't understand or care about how anything astronomical could possibly affect their lives, or how in the past anything astronomical could have affected their ancestors lives or events shaping the world at large. This article, and others like it, make astronomy more real to non-astronomers. I would welcome more articles like this.

I just spent a few days in Jamestown and Yorktown, Virgina (USA). We all know, don't we, the events at Jamestown in 1607 and Yorktown in 1781. Ironic when you think about the beginning and end of British rule over what was to become the USA, and the locations are only 20 miles apart. I would love to read about how astronomy may have influenced events in those places at at those times. Reading the S&T article makes me want to do research on this.

Of course, I am a bit biased since I live only 2 hours from Charleston, South Carolina, in Savannah, GA, a city itself full of history.

No discipline is an island unto itself. History, art science, archeology, etc. In colleges and universities, majors are separated by departments and courses are separated within departments but all inter-related in some way, on some level. Please S&T, more inter-related articles.

Makes it more human.

-Walt

#60 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

:waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

#61 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

Please S&T, more inter-related articles.

And more cute daughters-in-law, whenever you can work it in.

#62 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Oh come on!
Nothing accentuates whatever you're showing off better than a pretty girl. He's showing off his great observatory, and has this pretty daughter to make it look even better and to give it scale. He's undoubtedly very proud and fond of both. Where's the problem? If he just wanted attention, well, it worked very well. He could have had himself in the picture for scale; but isn't this better?

I swear, I've never understood why some people get so incensed about a pretty girl being in a picture.

+1

#63 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Oh come on!
Nothing accentuates whatever you're showing off better than a pretty girl. He's showing off his great observatory, and has this pretty daughter to make it look even better and to give it scale. He's undoubtedly very proud and fond of both. Where's the problem? If he just wanted attention, well, it worked very well. He could have had himself in the picture for scale; but isn't this better?

I swear, I've never understood why some people get so incensed about a pretty girl being in a picture.

+1

we will never expand the hobby as long as the magazines show only us old, fat, white men

:question:
edj

#64 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm not currently a subscriber to S&T but have been in the past. I switched to Astronomy a few years ago and am happy where I am.

After reading this thread I went to Barnes & Noble today, just to check out this controversial issue.

My comments:

1) I thought the Civil War sub story was very interesting and definitely had it's place in the magazine.

2) The astronomer's daughter-in-law that was in the one observatory image was in perfectly good taste. She was elegantly dressed and gave proper scale to the picture. I could see an issue if she was in a tube top and hot pants, but come on! Would you people that complained about this photo rather have an old white guy in the picture?

Anyway, I'm late to this party, but I had to add my two cents.

#65 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

The bottom line seems to be that S&T put it all together perfectly, as usual.

(I can just imagine what the author of the observatory article would think of all this ruckus about him putting his daughter in a picture!)

#66 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

There was another one on the sinking of the Titanic having to do with the moon and tides not long ago. As I recall that generated a bit of heat, too.

/Ira

#67 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

I enjoyed the "Civil War" article. Because i am not an American, some historical background information related with astronomy is ok.

The Secrets of the Nothern Lights i enjoyed even more. Great indepth article. Also nice that the subject is split up in two parts. The next month will be discribing Aurora photography.

To me,the Telescope Workshop series (Gary) is almost always a little to compressed. I think it would be nice if this series getting a more dominant role in the magazine.

#68 rtomw77

rtomw77

Apollo

• Loc: Deer Valley, AZ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

This thread reminds me of the name of one of Shakespeare's plays - Much Ado about Nothing.

I enjoy the historical articles, and the observatory article in question is fine by me.

Each issue of S&T (or Astronomy or any magazine) has an article or two about something that I am not interested in, but there are plenty of other articles on things that I do enjoy.

Just my two cents.

Tom

#69 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

This thread reminds me of the name of one of Shakespeare's plays - Much Ado about Nothing.

Just my two cents.

Tom

my 2 cents-many of our threads fit into this grouping

edj

#70 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Just my two cents.

Tom

my 2 cents-many of our threads fit into this grouping

edj

Another part of an old saying; "You can't please all the people all the time". :)

As far as the young lady (a relative) in the observatory photo; would it have been mentioned, if she had been a handsome young man? Double standard here! :lol:

S&T is an excellent magazine, and always has interesting articles that reach out to many.

#71 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think the criticism reflects a too-narrow view of S&T.

I've subscribed for about 20 non-consecutive years total and read library issues back to 1960's when I discovered S&T in the 1970's. By the time I've thoroughly read all the feature articles not tied to a monthly sky calendar, each modern issue provides about 2-3 months of entertainment over hours of spare time, and some of the most enjoyable articles are the unexpected topics.

I like most of the articles about tides or moonlight, vs. Tarawa or Caesar in Britain or the Indianapolis or Mary Shelley's inspiration for Frankenstein. I especially liked the description several years ago of the Hawaiian astronomy center with a garden scaled and planted to represent the Milky Way. Some recent cosmology articles were very good. I miss E.C. Krupp's column as much as I miss gleanings for ATMs or Walter Scott Houston. To my personal, broader concept of astronomy, none of these were off topic.

S&T tries to cover all aspects of the hobby and usually succeeds. There are more narrowly focused, or more popularized, publications that don't get my subscription in favor of S&T.

I could make similar complaints about the pages in almost every issue describing new equipment far beyond my interest, but like the occasional historical article, the articles that I care about less are just a few pages out of many in each issue.

#72 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Jay Bird...

Very fascinating post.

#73 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

hard to believe this is the 72 post on this thread

edj

#74 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Put me down as another who enjoyed the Hunley article. The astronomical conditions of the night are an interesting addition to a fascinating historical event. (Almost as fun as Dixon's gold coin. :))
As far as the pretty lady on Pg.68, imagine the complaints if they'd used a haggard old codger like myself...

#75 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I thought the observatory article was the clunker of the issue. It came off as a puff piece and it didn't tell me anything. Had the editor pushed for a story about building the observatory OR using the unique scopes in it I think the article would have been good. Instead both of those topics were covered and with the space allowed neither was given the space to be developed. The picture of the girl only took space away for more words. As for how she was dressed, well I thought it was a little out of place for S&T, but she was dressed in reasonable taste.

As for the rest of the magazine, I thought it was outstanding all around. The article by Ken White was outstanding.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics