Focal Reducer for f/10 8" LX200??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Was doing some eyepiece shopping yesterday and was strongly encouraged to purchase a focal reducer for my f/10 scope so that it would perform as an f/6.3. I understand all the math behind the exit pupil stuff and can see how it would be advantageous in that regard, however I've never hear of people recommending these for visual observing(read about them in regards to astrophotography occasionally).

So I guess the question would be: Is this a worthwhile investment? Does anyone have any experience with them making a difference for through the eyepiece observing?

Before anyone asks these questions: No, I don't wear glasses. Currently have the line of Meade 1.25" Super Plossls that came with the scope roughly 10 years ago..Researching upgrades now! And I do a little bit of all kinds of observing. I prefer faint fuzzies, but I spend time looking at just about everything.

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Was doing some eyepiece shopping yesterday and was strongly encouraged to purchase a focal reducer for my f/10 scope so that it would perform as an f/6.3. I understand all the math behind the exit pupil stuff and can see how it would be advantageous in that regard, however I've never hear of people recommending these for visual observing(read about them in regards to astrophotography occasionally).

So I guess the question would be: Is this a worthwhile investment? Does anyone have any experience with them making a difference for through the eyepiece observing?

Before anyone asks these questions: No, I don't wear glasses. Currently have the line of Meade 1.25" Super Plossls that came with the scope roughly 10 years ago..Researching upgrades now! And I do a little bit of all kinds of observing. I prefer faint fuzzies, but I spend time looking at just about everything.

I have played around with them for visual and it was entertaining for a while. Much better to invest in some ultra-wide eyepieces instead.

#3 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

before you do anything you need to try out 2" eyepieces on your scope, borrow and test them or any way you can.. I have two people with meade 8" and when went from 1.25" to 2" were blown away

#4 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I run a Denk P/S S1 2 inch diagonal and view with the focal reducer in play the VAST majority of the time...(

With the Denk..my eyepieces all yield 3 different magnification and it take all of 2 milliseconds to switch from normal to a reduced or to a barlowed view ..

However I will admit that I very very rarely use the barlow mode...

I'm 100 percent visual ..

Bob G.

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

An f/6.3 FR/FF can be very handy, especially when you're using regular plossls (which is what the FR is intended to be used with). I don't use mine very much since, as Chris mentioned, I have some 2" wide angle eyepieces. But for the cost of one decent eyepiece, you can double your current set. Rod Mollise has said here that he never takes it off of his C8; and he's a pretty authoritative guy when it comes to SCTs and their accessories.

But be sure to get a good one! Mine is an old Japanese Meade, and is very good. I've read some bad stuff here about the newer Chinese Meade ones, though. The Celestron units seem to have less trouble these days. And I think Antares markets one, too.

So, one thumb up here.

#6 Rayh

Rayh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ, USA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I used my f6.3 some with visual with my 7" and 12" Meades. Then I found I could get the same FOV with long focal length 2" eyepieces. With astrophotography you can't just change eyepieces to change the FOV so you need focal reducers to do that.
Ray

#7 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Interesting perspectives guys, thanks! Good to know that it might at least be something worth getting at some point and not a complete waste of money, maybe I can find someone local that has one I can try.

Definitely going to spend my money on a nicer eyepiece or two first...and definitely thinking about getting a 2" diagonal.

#8 GSO

GSO

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

before you do anything you need to try out 2" eyepieces on your scope, borrow and test them or any way you can.. I have two people with meade 8" and when went from 1.25" to 2" were blown away

Pretty sure on the 8" sct you will need the "Eyeopener" to get the best out of 2" eyepieces ....
http://www.petersone....com/sky/EO.htm

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

IIRC, the Eyeopener only fits 10" and larger scopes.

#10 mikehager

mikehager

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NC, U.S.A.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

You might want to see related discussion on recommendations on following: http://www.cloudynig...5183313/Main...

Not sure I attached the thread correctly but starts with #5175220, posted 4/16/12.

#11 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

You might want to see related discussion on recommendations on following: http://www.cloudynig...5183313/Main...

Not sure I attached the thread correctly but starts with #5175220, posted 4/16/12.

Worked just fine...thanks for the link! Looks to be some good info in that thread. I'm gearing up with some other stuff at the moment but I definitely have plans to get one of these in the near future. Hopefully I can get a chance to try one or two out on my scope before I make the purchase though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics