Photo

how high do you set your mount for sitting..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

getting ready to order a starbound chair. just wonder how high I should set the tripod. I have the atlas with a sct.
this is a new setup for me, I've only had it out one time so far and set it up high for standing up...

I have setup in the house at the lowest position and the ota is really low but looks like it may be close if a chair is used..

#2 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Only you can determine where your tripod will be set. I suspect that at a lower setting as you mentioned may be necessary. Play with it once you get your chair. Oh, and I think you will love seated observing. :grin:

Best, Linda B.

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

For visual with the Starbound chair, I set my SCTs up with the tripod at the lowest setting. For refractors, I raise the tripod about 12" to 18" from the lowest settings.

And I agree with with the previous poster, you will love seated viewing with the Starbound chair.

#4 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

thanks, I have never viewed in seated position. I imagine its a lot more enjoyable.

#5 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

thanks, I have never viewed in seated position. I imagine its a lot more enjoyable.

Seating helps an observer to not only be relaxed, but able to keep your eye trained on the 1 or 2 MM exit pupil most observing is done at.

My pier was 40 inches for an older C-8.

#6 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I determined where to set mine by having the scope pointed at zenith then setting my chair to the lowest setting I was comfortable sitting and adjusting the tripod height to line up the eyepiece with my eye. Of course, that means waiting until you get the chair...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics