Photo

how high do you set your mount for sitting..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

getting ready to order a starbound chair. just wonder how high I should set the tripod. I have the atlas with a sct.
this is a new setup for me, I've only had it out one time so far and set it up high for standing up...

I have setup in the house at the lowest position and the ota is really low but looks like it may be close if a chair is used..

#2 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Only you can determine where your tripod will be set. I suspect that at a lower setting as you mentioned may be necessary. Play with it once you get your chair. Oh, and I think you will love seated observing. :grin:

Best, Linda B.

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

For visual with the Starbound chair, I set my SCTs up with the tripod at the lowest setting. For refractors, I raise the tripod about 12" to 18" from the lowest settings.

And I agree with with the previous poster, you will love seated viewing with the Starbound chair.

#4 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

thanks, I have never viewed in seated position. I imagine its a lot more enjoyable.

#5 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

thanks, I have never viewed in seated position. I imagine its a lot more enjoyable.

Seating helps an observer to not only be relaxed, but able to keep your eye trained on the 1 or 2 MM exit pupil most observing is done at.

My pier was 40 inches for an older C-8.

#6 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I determined where to set mine by having the scope pointed at zenith then setting my chair to the lowest setting I was comfortable sitting and adjusting the tripod height to line up the eyepiece with my eye. Of course, that means waiting until you get the chair...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics