Steiner roof prism alignment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rwfisheriv

rwfisheriv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Can anyone share information regarding how a pair of Steiner 10x26 roof prism binocs are adjusted (I won't differentiate between collimation and conditional alignment!)? The objectives don't appear to use eccentric rings, and i'd rather not blindly start stripping off the rubber armor until I have an idea of even IF there's an adjustment screw...

Thanks,
Robert

#2 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Robert:

Welcome to CN!

Traditional collimation techniques on hand held binoculars usually involve binoculars with a single axle or hinge. Even so, most people who claim to have collimated their binocular . . . have not. They have only made it good enough for themselves, and possibly those having nearly the same IPD, or the conditional alignment you speak of.

The Steiner 10x26 is a DOUBLE axle model (increasing the difficulty of clinical collimation by at least a magnitude) and without the correct fixture and technique, CoAl is the best you can hope for. That’s not meant to be negative; only truthful.

The alignment adjustments may be under the EPs—I think it is**. I have also noticed the alignment can be thrown off if one or both hinges are loose. Sometimes just tightening the hinge/hinges will do the job—or at least make things more acceptable. I don’t recall collimating this model, but I’m sure someone can give you definitive positions on the collimation screws. Just be careful around the **“I think it’s . . .” crowd.

Steiner is now imported by Burris in Colorado. If you can get past the “You’ll have to send them in,” lecture, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

BillC

#3 rwfisheriv

rwfisheriv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thanks. I will say regardless of the binocs other faults, the glue they use is certainly first rate...

The hinge screws are under a cover on the objective side. It looks like there's some sort of adjustment screw in the hinge itself.

I'm not looking for optical perfection, just something close enough that i don't go cross-eyed looking through these things.

#4 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

"I'm not looking for optical perfection."

A realistic and mature attitude.

BillC

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics