Photo

Baader Maxbright: which nose, which compensator?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DSO2

DSO2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Happy New Year to all!

I'm going to buy a Baader Maxbright binoviewer to use with the Stellarvue SV110 refractor. I will also get the 32mm Baader Prism Diagonal.

I have no idea whether to get a 1.25" or a 2" Nosepiece. Are there advantages/disadvantages to one over the other? Also, I'm unsure as to whether I should get the 1.25x or the 1.7x glasspath compensator.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Get the 2" nose. The problem with the 1.25" nose is that it is hard to get enough clamping force on the 1.25" nose to keep them from slipping when you have to tilt the binos to one side.

And even here, it is best if your 2" holder uses a compression ring or multiple screws.

As for the Glasspath compensator, you really need to do your homework unless someone else has the same configuration because different models of scopes are very different in terms of the amount of in-focus. Most refractors will work with the 1.25x GPC either at the top of the diagonal, or in front of the diagonal where it gives more like 1.45x.

The best thing to do is try to determine your scopes back focus and using the Baader Maxbright User's Guide PDF (available for free download from Alpine Astro). This tells you how to measure your back focus, and how to select the GPC that is right for your scope.

#3 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

A 1.25" nosepiece can also clip a fast light cone.

As far as the gpc it's a no-brainer if you want to view planets and the Moon get the 1.7X. If you like widefield views get the 1.25X but like Eddgie says check the backfocus figures first.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics