CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Baader Herschel Wedge for Christmas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hi folks. While I've been viewing Sol with Baader film filters in all of my scopes for the past year or so, I was able to purchase a Baader Herschel Wedge (V) system with a Baader 2" Polarizing filter for Christmas (thanks Tom!) I can hardly wait for the clouds to part this weekend.

This will be used in an outstanding quality 100/1300 refractor. With the ND 3.0 + Baader Continuum and the variable polarizing filter, should I be able to make good images with a DFK 31au03 color camera or will perhaps need some of the filters that come with the (P) model?

My custom OTA was made a few inches shorter than typical for eventual binoviewer and Herschel wedge use, but I've not had the weather to check if it actually has enough back focus. Until I get a chance to verify the back focus, I leave that out of the equation.

Any heads up or advice from others who have been down this path?

#2 Fish

Fish

Viking 1

• Loc: Norridgewock, ME

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Brandon,

Firstly, congrats; you will find a wedge is the best way to go!

I have been using your basic setup for a few years now (127mm f/9 & DMK41). You will have enough filtering with your 'V' setup for the camera to image. As for focus, the wedge is essentially the same optical length as a normal diagonal. I can easily image with the camera as well as view with an eyepiece.

BTW, you should have no problem seeing granulation with 100mm and the wedge. I use a 105mm on outreaches and it shows up every time!

Regards, Marc

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics