New Baader Herschel Wedge for Christmas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hi folks. While I've been viewing Sol with Baader film filters in all of my scopes for the past year or so, I was able to purchase a Baader Herschel Wedge (V) system with a Baader 2" Polarizing filter for Christmas (thanks Tom!) I can hardly wait for the clouds to part this weekend.

This will be used in an outstanding quality 100/1300 refractor. With the ND 3.0 + Baader Continuum and the variable polarizing filter, should I be able to make good images with a DFK 31au03 color camera or will perhaps need some of the filters that come with the (P) model?

My custom OTA was made a few inches shorter than typical for eventual binoviewer and Herschel wedge use, but I've not had the weather to check if it actually has enough back focus. Until I get a chance to verify the back focus, I leave that out of the equation.

Any heads up or advice from others who have been down this path?

#2 Fish

Fish

Viking 1

• Loc: Norridgewock, ME

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Brandon,

Firstly, congrats; you will find a wedge is the best way to go!

I have been using your basic setup for a few years now (127mm f/9 & DMK41). You will have enough filtering with your 'V' setup for the camera to image. As for focus, the wedge is essentially the same optical length as a normal diagonal. I can easily image with the camera as well as view with an eyepiece.

BTW, you should have no problem seeing granulation with 100mm and the wedge. I use a 105mm on outreaches and it shows up every time!

Regards, Marc

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics