• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

does anyone have orions starshoot video camera or know something about one. i have a samsung 435 camera, wonder how it would compare with it. the orion camera and their small lcd-dvr seems like it would be a real nice portable setup. would i be disappointed investing $700 for this rig or go another direction. thanks, donnie

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think you would be disappointed in the additional $500 investment (the camera only). The Orion camera wouldn't be enough of a improvement over what you already have. The small lcd dvr would however be a good addition to any video camera setup.

The slightly larger sensor = a larger fov with the Orion camera
It also has a slightly better (more sensitive) sensor than the Samsung

Beyond that with it's 4 second integration the Orion really doesn't show any more of a dso than the Samsung does.

I'd keep an eye out for a used Mallincam (MCHP/VSS/Xtreme) or Stellacam III.

#3 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Donnie,
This is from my personal experience with the Orion video cameras:
They are only 256x (4 sec.)while the Samsung is 512X (8 sec.)
While the Orion is a 1/2 inch sensor and the Samsung is 1/3, I did not see any improvement over my Samsung SCB2000 other than slight increase of FOV with the Orion.
I have since sold off the Orion and still use the Samsung.
I also noticed that Orion states that their camera is best for solar, lunar, planetary and Messier objects. I can actually go deeper with the Samsung and get better presentation of the objects the Orion camera can see.

I personally would not purchase the Orion for myself as a second camera. It is a good camera and for someone to purchase it as a new first camera, however I believe that it would be quickly out grown by most people.
As a second camera over the Samsung, I do not believe I would be gaining enough improvement to warrant the expense.

For the same amount of money or close, look for used Mallincams here or on AstroMart. Or as I have done, find used Stellacams (mono but deep looking cameras) to do LRGB to produce color processed photos.

Regards,
Johnny

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

thankyou for all the advice, appreciate! donnie

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics