• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'd like to have an informal survey on the max loads, visually and photographically, people have successfully used on the HEQ5Pro mounts. Please include any comments about the experience, both pro and con, and caviets found in doing so, such as max exposure times vs: focal length (both guided and unguided). Thanks.
John

#2 Ricky

Ricky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nor Cal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi John,
I routinely take planetary images with my MN61 on my Sirius HEQ5. I also use an extended cw bar from Criterion Machining so that I can balance everything with an 11lb cw. So total weight is around 32lbs +.

#3 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks, Ricky, that's a nice setup. What camera are you useing?
John

#4 Ricky

Ricky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi John,
Ive been using my old Phillips TouCam Pro II usually with either a TV 5x powermate or UO 2.8x barlow...depending upon seeing.

#5 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Do you lose many subs do to tracking issues, or all pretty good? That's some serious focal length.
John

#6 Ricky

Ricky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hi John,
For planetary imaging my HEQ5 handles the load fine...great tracking and no problems imaging at 5-10fps, which btw is the highest frame rate my cam will go. I think the key is good balancing.

#7 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, Ricky.

#8 Tandum

Tandum

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

http://starshed.net/...op_display_m...

That should be an image of an heq5 with 17.5kgs on top of it.

And this should be an image from that kit via a 450D.
http://starshed.net/...p_display_media

Can be done :)

#9 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

That's quite a load on the mount, Tandum, but your image looks terrific.
John

#10 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I personally have loaded my heq5 pro with around 12 kg. The information that i have seen is that according to the specifications it can handle around 14 kg for visual maximum. My setup included 8" f/5 netwonian with 80mm f/5 refractor on top of it as guide scope. Imaging was done with nikon d90 dslr camera and guiding with meade dsi 2 pro. I have some good 5 minute exposures with this setup but definitely not all and the system was quite sensitive to wind. I also needed 3x5kg counterweights to balance all this. Later i removed the guide scope and used off-axis guiding instead which reduced the weight with around 2 kg and added more precision to the guiding itself. With this setup 5 minute exposures were much easier. In general i do not recommend to go over 10kg for photography on this mount.

#11 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the comments, Neptun2. I can see where an 8" Newt would have issues in the wind with your load. I would probably max out with a 6" astrograph or an 8" SCT. I do have a 10" dob (XT10i) for deep space observing to take care of my aperture fever. :-)
John

#12 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

If you want a scope for astrophotography on this mount 8" RC or 5" APO refractor are also good options. I personally have ordered skywatcher evostar 120mm APO to replace my 8" newtonian on my heq5 pro. It weighs only 5.5 kg and with the other accessories it will become around 7 kg. Some of the 5" APOs on the marker are heavier but usually not more than 7 kg. It is also a good option. Another option is also 8" carbon tube newtonian. It will definitely be lighter than my skywatcher 8" metal tube newtonian.

#13 akira

akira

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

http://kostasastronm...uipment-en.html at the bottom of the page you can see various photos of my setup with the rc 8'' being the latest. the times i can reach with an oag are 20 mins but only after having my mount properly serviced and balanced. here are some of my photos http://www.astrobin....sers/kookoo_gr/

#14 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hello Kostas. what do you mean by "properly serviced" mount? did you make any modifications of your HEQ-5 and if so what exactly?

#15 akira

akira

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

i stripped down the mount and regreased it, also i meshed the gears as best as possible, also at the nut that holds the Dec axis beneath the vixen puck i used some locktight since i noticed that it gets loose and ads flexure to the mount,i placed an adm dual saddle to eliminate flexure from the standard vixen puck and i soldered a permanent power supply cable so that i won't have any surprises from bad power supply connections (http://www.astrovox....pic.php?t=15921 my mount is at the last photos of the topic).

#16 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Our HEQ5-Pro was left stock, out of the box, with no mods or anything special done to it. The load on it consisted of a Williams 110, with a starlight xpress H9 for camera, filter wheel and a full load of filters, lrgb and narrow band. To guide it, we used the Kwiq setup, qhy5 in a 9x50. Prior to getting the sxv-h9, we used a Nikon D50.

With the dslr, 5 minute subs were routine. With the ccd when doing narrow band, 15 minutes was routine. Throw away exposures were rare, normally due to wind, or folks walking on the wooden deck. As for visual use, I have no clue, I dont think we have ever put an eyepiece in a telescope on that mount.

My overall comments on the mount, which I do repeat for folks that are looking at buying starter equipment. The HEQ5-Pro is the best bang for the buck in mounts. We used it side by side with the EQ6 for years in our 'his and hers' mobile astro setup. We had the C8 on the EQ6, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it on the HEQ5 either, and if we were starting over with those telescopes today, we would have two HEQ5-Pro. It is MUCH easier to set up than the EQ6.

We used the HEQ5 + EQ6 pair for years, they have been to star parties ranging from northern california, out to saskatchewan. They spent months at a time set up on our back deck, under the 365 cover system. The HEQ5 has never given us a problem. We would continue to use it, except for one detail, 'her' telescope got upgraded this winter, and the TOA-130 is to big for the mount, so it went on the EQ6. If I had stuck with the C8, it would go on the HEQ5, but I went to a 12 inch RC, and that came with a tak njp. So, the HEQ5 is now in our surplus astronomy bits pile, not because we had problems with it, but we outgrew it.

#17 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

These are great bits of info to have, folks, and much thanks to all of you. It looks like my move will be to the HEQ5Pro after I sell my LXD55 and some other stuff to finance it (anyone want a terrific 1954 American Flyer train set? :-) ).

#18 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

i stripped down the mount and regreased it, also i meshed the gears as best as possible, also at the nut that holds the Dec axis beneath the vixen puck i used some locktight since i noticed that it gets loose and ads flexure to the mount,i placed an adm dual saddle to eliminate flexure from the standard vixen puck and i soldered a permanent power supply cable so that i won't have any surprises from bad power supply connections (http://www.astrovox....pic.php?t=15921 my mount is at the last photos of the topic).

Pretty cool mod you got there :bow:

Guylain

#19 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Can anyone suggest any particularly good websites and/or webgroups for the HEQ5Pro? This includes for visual or AP use, modifications, etc.
John

#20 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Here is a link showing how to disassemble, regrease and reassemble such mount. I personally have not done it. Link:

http://www.astro-bab...ild/heq5-m1.htm

Edit: I have this mount for more than 4 years now and did not make any modifications on it. It is stock and always worked correctly even at -13 degrees celsius in the winter.

#21 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks, Neptun. I have saved that site. I rebuilt my first GEM, an EQ5, years ago, and it made a HUGE difference.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics