Photo

Edmund Scientifics

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Mag 5 Star Atlas published by Edmund Scientifics? It looks like this introductory star atlas has been around in various editions since 1974.

Edmund Scientifics also publishes a Mag 6 Star Atlas, which has more beef (66 pages).

And Edmund Scientifics hosts Sky Talk, an amateur astronomy blog written by James Mullaney, former assistant editor at Sky & Telescope magazine and author of eight books on stargazing.

Three cheers for Edmund Scientifics. :jump: :jump: :jump:

#2 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

I have them both and do like them. But then again I like all atlases.

Don't forget the Edmund Sky Guide. It's a great introduction to the night sky written by Terence Dickinson and Sam Brown.

The Mag 5 star atlas has much of what the sky guide offers as well. One thing that is cool (IMHO) about this star atlas is that each star's magnitude is actually written next to the star. I like to sit in my light polluted backyard every so often and try to guess the magnitudes of various stars. The font reminds me of old school text books.

The Mag 6 star atlas is more of the same with a larger format and a lot more pictures. The star charts have a listing of interesting objects on the facing page similar to the Bright Star Atlas, Cambridge Star Atlas. Each listed object also has a nice description. ie NGC 1365 A fine example of a barred spiral galaxy.

Are they need to have atlases? No.

For me they are a taste of nostalgia.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Mag 5 Star Atlas published by Edmund Scientifics? It looks like this introductory star atlas has been around in various editions since 1974.

Edmund Scientifics also publishes a Mag 6 Star Atlas, which has more beef (66 pages).

And Edmund Scientifics hosts Sky Talk, an amateur astronomy blog written by James Mullaney, former assistant editor at Sky & Telescope magazine and author of eight books on stargazing.

Three cheers for Edmund Scientifics. :jump: :jump: :jump:

They are OK for what they are. Certainly neither one goes deep enough to be of much use once you get past binoculars. If you want a small, inexpensive print atlas for use with a telescope I recommend Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics