Photo

Putting Meade ACF Optics in Celestron Carbon Tube?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi Team,

This is a kinda goofy question. I have a Nexstar 8 GPS (The older ones with Carbon Fiber tube) that I just love. Stable, great ergonomins, nice looking, etc..... I also just picked up a Meade ACF OTA that has a creased tube. Both are 8 inches. If the ACF tube turns out to have good/great optics (one can hope), could one (me) swap the optics from the Meade ACF into the Celestron Nextstar. IMHO a Nexstar 8 GPS with a good set of Meade ACF optics would be pretty sweet.

It would surprise me if this was doable....thought I would ask your thoughts...

#2 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

If that doesn't work consider contacting http://www.carbonscopetubes.com to purchase a new tube for the Meade.

#3 fuzzystuff4ever

fuzzystuff4ever

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Micco, FL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'd be very suprised if the dimensions matched up (tube length, diameter). Besides, putting Meade optics into a Celestron tube would probably cause a sub-atomic implosion and destroy the planet. :iwhat:

#4 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'd be very suprised if the dimensions matched up (tube length, diameter). Besides, putting Meade optics into a Celestron tube would probably cause a sub-atomic implosion and destroy the planet. :iwhat:

LOL...kinda link mixing antimatter and matter...

The reason i thought of this goofy idea was just replacing the optics would preserve all the hardware that interfaces the tube to the forks. I wanted to get the ACF optics on my Nexstar GPS mount/tripod...and be able to use sky align and all.

#5 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Viking 1

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

If that doesn't work consider contacting http://www.carbonscopetubes.com to purchase a new tube for the Meade.

Public Missiles (Carbon Scope Tubes) doesn't make any CF tubes for Meade SCTs because Meade bonds the end castings to their tubes, making their removal particularly difficult.

#6 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

oh....that may be the answer to my goofy question....If I cannot get the end castings off, all bets are off.....

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I believe Meade still uses an oversize primary mirrors in their ACF scopes ... meaning 8.25" primary mirror versus 8" primary mirror in the Celestron. That could pose a problem in a swap-out using the Celestron carbon fiber tube.

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

oh....that may be the answer to my goofy question....If I cannot get the end castings off, all bets are off.....

Not sure what the story is but a Meade 2120 just sold on eBay that had a CF tube. So there's a way to get it apart. Even epoxy will soften in a a 250 deg oven. Of course I'd prefer not to see a nice CF C8 get savaged :lol:

What you need to do is buy a C8 with bad optics, move your optics to it then you can play without having to spend too much time in Celestron purgatory later.

I have a CF tube that was sold to me as a replacement for a C11. Well. it was too small. Now I'm wondering if it will fit a 2120. Have to take some measurements.

The biggest hurdle I see for your project is moving your primary to the C8 carrier. I have a friend who pulled his C8's primary off the carrier for a recoat and never got it collimated correctly again.

#9 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Viking 1

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

You still should be able to get the optics out of the tube--- I took the optics out of a 12" Meade SCT about 10 years ago without removing the castings. The front casting should have 2 large notches 180° apart that allow one to extract the slightly oversized primary mirror and it's sliding baffle mount by simply cocking it nearly sideways as it's extracted through the opening. Just be careful not to contact the edge of the casting notches with the primary's optical surface--- a makeshift cardboard mask can help there.

Whether or not the optics can be easily installed into the C8 is another matter.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics