PC port & HC simultaneous?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

If I wanted to run NexRemote from the PC port, is it possible to do initial alignment with HC and then retreat into warm room to control via NexRemote in PC port? Why would I do that? Well because I could have a planetarium program like Cartes or SkySafari plugged into HC also. Then I could do normal slews with the planetarium software but if I needed a precise GoTo I would not have to go outside.

Can it be done or am I dreaming of possibilities never engineered by Celestron?

Al

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

You can still have planetarium software controlling the scope using PC port along with NexRemote. NexRemote has a virtual COM port for this. Just make sure the COM port in planetarium software matches to virtual COM port of NexRemote. The physical COM port of NexRemote should be the same as your computer's COM port. Do you have a proper cable and connectors for CPC's PC port?

But you still cannot use Hand Controller to do alignment and go back inside and use NexRemote because NexRemote does not know where the CPC scope is currently pointing to. In other words the Hand Controller and NexRemote do not know each other.

You could still make it work. Always use NexRemote to do everything. You can go outside and use only Hand Controller directional buttons to center the alignment stars and go back inside and follow NexRemote alignment procedures. Once you are done with star alignments, then you can use NexRemote for everything including Precise GoTo.

Peter

#3 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hi Peter, Yea I know about the virtual com port, that would work with Cartes, but not SkySafari as I use a macbook for that, unless i can get the nexremote to work in virtual box or some other PC emulator... running in and out to do the alignment... i suppose but its a hassle. You wonder why Celestron made the PC port with such limited functionality in terms of working alongside the HC... oh well...

Al

#4 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I use the HC for the normal alignment stuff outside and have a connection to the HC serial port to the PC inside and use normal scope control software, usually ASCOM and CdC.

The ASCOM driver has HC button control and CdC has sync, that's enough to allow me to emulate precise goto by centring the scope on a known star - seen in the imager - and do a sync followed by a slew controlled by CdC to get a DSO on the imager.

That handles most of what I need to do.

Chris

#5 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I forgot that Celestron ASCOM driver includes HC buttons. That would work.

Stellarium also works very well with CPC scopes. I like it better than CdC. Stellarium seems more reliable.

Peter

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

If I wanted to run NexRemote from the PC port, is it possible to do initial alignment with HC and then retreat into warm room to control via NexRemote in PC port? Why would I do that? Well because I could have a planetarium program like Cartes or SkySafari plugged into HC also. Then I could do normal slews with the planetarium software but if I needed a precise GoTo I would not have to go outside.

Can it be done or am I dreaming of possibilities never engineered by Celestron?

Al

No, sorry. Choose one or the other. If you want to run NexRemote, you must do everything with it. You can use the HC direction keys if you like, but that is it.

Use the virtual port feature on NR to allow you to use the planetarium.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi Peter, Yea I know about the virtual com port, that would work with Cartes, but not SkySafari as I use a macbook for that, unless i can get the nexremote to work in virtual box or some other PC emulator... running in and out to do the alignment... i suppose but its a hassle. You wonder why Celestron made the PC port with such limited functionality in terms of working alongside the HC... oh well...

Al

There is no way you are going to be able to use both NexRemote and your iPad at the same time. Sorry.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics