• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Here are my ghosts of Christmas past and present! :jump:

These are the very first generation of Celestron Silvertops. All silver, orange engraved lettering and marked "Fully Coated". By contrast the second generation silvertops were all-silver with engraved orange lettering and marked "Multi-Coated"; and the third generation were silver bodies with black tops and red silkscreened lettering.

Some interesting tidbits about this collection:
- The 45mm and 36mm both have a round green JTII sticker. I estimate that this style of JTII sticker was only used in 1980 and 1981.
- The 36mm pill bottle is larger that the pill bottle used for all of the other silvertop eyepieces.
- The 45mm doesn't come with a pill bottle. None ever did.
- The 2x Deluxe Barlow is also marked "Fully Coated". I do not know if these were shipped with or without caps.

The Christmas Holidays have been consistently productive for adding to this set. The 36mm and 45mm were acquired last Christmas (thanks Steve, for my ghosts of Christmas past). The 26mm was acquired in July (thanks Ron, for Christmas in July). The Deluxe Barlow was this year's find (thanks Dave, for my Ghost of Christmas Present).

I'm still searching for the 17mm and 10mm versions. As best I can tell, Celestron only offered the 45mm, 36mm, 26mm, 17mm and 10mm in the very first run, most likely in 1981. Perhaps the 10mm and 17mm will be my Ghosts of Christmas Future!
:grin:

Cheers!
Blake

Attached Files

#2 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Cool -- love the silvertops. I have one of the elusive 30mm silvertops and will not ever let it go.

Dave

#3 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

That's an awesome eyepiece, Dave. I have a couple of them. There were at least three versions of the 30mm:
1) All-silver, orange engraved lettering, Circle-V on the chrome barrel.
2) All-silver, orange engraved lettering, Japan silkscreened in white on the silver body.
3) All-silver, orange engraved lettering, Taiwan silkscreened in white on the silver body.

Which version do you have?

Mine are the Taiwan ROC versions. The views are magical in our club's Celestron 16.

Cheers!
Blake

#4 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I am trying to obtain a 2X barlow that is labeled Multi Coated. Also a 22mm but not sure if it is Fully or Multi Coated.

#5 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Always enjoy seeing your Silvertops collections Blake. I really like the Silvertops but gave up trying to collect them. I guess I'm just too impatient, they come up so infrequently and when they do, people usually grab them. Congrats on the additions and I wish you good luck on finding that 10mm and 17mm!

#6 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

That's an awesome eyepiece, Dave. I have a couple of them. There were at least three versions of the 30mm:
2) All-silver, orange engraved lettering, Japan silkscreened in white on the silver body.
3) All-silver, orange engraved lettering, Taiwan silkscreened in white on the silver body.

Mine are the Taiwan ROC versions. The views are magical in our club's Celestron 16.

Cheers!
Blake

Hi Blake,

I have the Taiwan ROC version. I picked it up on Ebay last year and it looked as if it had never been used.

Dave

#7 stevep

stevep

Vostok 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi Blake,

You are very welcome to ''Christmas past'' glad to see you have added a couple more to this very exclusive early run :jump:, I think if others exist in the line you may have to look closer to the production source !

Good Hunting, and a Happy New Year,

Steve

#8 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I am trying to obtain a 2X barlow that is labeled Multi Coated. Also a 22mm but not sure if it is Fully or Multi Coated.

Hi Dave,

Good luck on the 22mm Silvertop!

I'd be very surprised if it's marked "Fully Coated". I think the 22mm was introduced as part of the second run series that were marked "Multi-Coated. Please let me know either way!

Cheers!
Blake

#9 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Always enjoy seeing your Silvertops collections Blake. I really like the Silvertops but gave up trying to collect them. I guess I'm just too impatient, they come up so infrequently and when they do, people usually grab them. Congrats on the additions and I wish you good luck on finding that 10mm and 17mm!

Hi Mark,

Always good to hear from you!

I agree.

Collecting early Celestron eyepieces is an exercise in frustration. If I hadn't committed to publish this article I'm working on, I probably would not have started, myself.

It has been a very interesting journey. I've identified at least 26 distinct variations in the eyepieces produced from the 1960s though 2000. I've been slowly figuring out the timing of the production of each based upon style of marking cut into the barrel, JTII stickers on the eyepiece, original boxes and original prices stickers on original boxes.

I suspect that this is a difficult project because in any given production run, the quantities of any given eyepiece style produced were actually very small - probably less than 10,000 units and potentially only 1,000 units in some cases.

Cheers!
Blake

#10 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Are you sure the 1st generation was marked Fully Coated? I see some posts now and then claiming the Multi Coated are the 1st generation.

#11 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Cheers!
Blake

Hi Blake,

I have the Taiwan ROC version. I picked it up on Ebay last year and it looked as if it had never been used.

Dave

Yep, that was the last in the series. If memory (and my research) is correct, Celestron introduced the 30mm Silvertop in 1987. The run was fairly short lived. By 1991, the introduction of the Ultima line overshadowed the Silvertops (which did not appear in the 1991 Accessories Catalog). I think that the Black-top Silvertops may have been offered at this time and ran up through 1995 when the "Halloween Plossls" were introduced.

Cheers!
Blake

#12 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Are you sure the 1st generation was marked Fully Coated? I see some posts now and then claiming the Multi Coated are the 1st generation.

Great question!

The answer is "absolutely sure!" Here's why... If you look at earlier eyepieces, say 1950's and 1960's, these are all marked "Fully Coated". There are folks more expert than I at the meaning of this, but as I understand it, it means that only the outer lens surfaces on end of the eyepiece (field lens and eye lens) were coated. Multi-coating means that all air-to-glass surfaces of all elements are coated. If my understanding is correct, multi-coating came into its own in the early 1980's. So it stands to reason that the first run Silvertops were actually "Fully Coated" with the second run and subsequent third run "Multi-Coated". All modern eyepieces are now "Multi-Coated" and the marking has faded into obscurity.

I suspect that those that say that the first run Silvertops are "Multi-Coated" are not aware that the the "Fully Coated" versions exist.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Blake

PS For observing, "Multi-Coated" eyepieces should outperform their "Fully Coated" counter parts.

#13 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Yes, thanks for explaining it. Your logic appears to be sound.

#14 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hi Blake,

You are very welcome to ''Christmas past'' glad to see you have added a couple more to this very exclusive early run :jump:, I think if others exist in the line you may have to look closer to the production source !

Good Hunting, and a Happy New Year,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Happy New Year! I hope you've been able to get out and enjoy your night skies!

The "Fully Coated" Silvertops are indeed a challenge to find. At this point I'd appreciate anyone that would like to contribute a glamour shot of their own 17mm and 10mm "Fully Coated" Silvertops.

Any takers out there?

Cheers!
Blake

#15 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

I had the 22mm and 17mm and they were both marked as multi coated.

Attached Files

#16 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

17mm

Attached Files

#17 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

There's also a 15mm but the one I had was marked as multi coated.

Attached Files

#18 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Great question!

The answer is "absolutely sure!" Here's why... If you look at earlier eyepieces, say 1950's and 1960's, these are all marked "Fully Coated". There are folks more expert than I at the meaning of this, but as I understand it, it means that only the outer lens surfaces on end of the eyepiece (field lens and eye lens) were coated. Multi-coating means that all air-to-glass surfaces of all elements are coated. If my understanding is correct, multi-coating came into its own in the early 1980's. So it stands to reason that the first run Silvertops were actually "Fully Coated" with the second run and subsequent third run "Multi-Coated". All modern eyepieces are now "Multi-Coated" and the marking has faded into obscurity.

I suspect that those that say that the first run Silvertops are "Multi-Coated" are not aware that the the "Fully Coated" versions exist.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Blake

PS For observing, "Multi-Coated" eyepieces should outperform their "Fully Coated" counter parts.

Blake,

This is not my understanding of the marketing terms. Perhaps they have changed from the far past to today. I believe today the meaning is:

0. Coated - Not sure, perhaps just the exterior eye and field lens.

1. Fully Coated - all air-glass surfaces MgF2 coated

2. Multicoated - As #1, except the top of the eye lens is multicoated.

3. Full Multicoated - all air-glass surfaces multicoated

I have discussed this with the Circle-T folks some years back, and #2 and #3 is what they mean for those terms.

Also, the Celestron site defines them as follows: Coated optics means that at least one of the major optical elements has a coating on at least one surface. Fully-coated means that all lenses and glass surfaces have a coating layer. Multicoated means that at least one of the major optical elements in a fully-coated binocular has multiple coatings of antireflective compounds on at least one surface. Fully-multicoated means all glass surfaces have multiple coatings and it is the best kind, resulting in light transmission of 90-95 percent, bright, sharp and contrasty images.

Link.

#19 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Great question!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Blake

Blake,

This is not my understanding of the marketing terms. Perhaps they have changed from the far past to today. I believe today the meaning is:

0. Coated - Not sure, perhaps just the exterior eye and field lens.

1. Fully Coated - all air-glass surfaces MgF2 coated

2. Multicoated - As #1, except the top of the eye lens is multicoated.

3. Full Multicoated - all air-glass surfaces multicoated

I have discussed this with the Circle-T folks some years back, and #2 and #3 is what they mean for those terms.

Also, the Celestron site defines them as follows: Coated optics means that at least one of the major optical elements has a coating on at least one surface. Fully-coated means that all lenses and glass surfaces have a coating layer. Multicoated means that at least one of the major optical elements in a fully-coated binocular has multiple coatings of antireflective compounds on at least one surface. Fully-multicoated means all glass surfaces have multiple coatings and it is the best kind, resulting in light transmission of 90-95 percent, bright, sharp and contrasty images.

Link.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the clarification.

As I indicated in my post I was not sure about the specific definition of each term (due to all of the marketing hype). So I really appreciate your knowledge on this point. :bow:

From your perspective, is the Celestron Silvertop progression from "Fully Coated" to "Multi Coated" correct?

Many thanks! :jump:

Blake

#20 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

From your perspective, is the Celestron Silvertop progression from "Fully Coated" to "Multi Coated" correct?

Yes. Don't think I've ever seen one saying fully multicoated. I don't think it was until the mid 80's that fully multicoated became the rage. Not sure who first started doing this.

#21 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing pictures of your "Multi Coated" 22mm, 17mm and 15mm. Of the three, I suspect that only a version of the 17mm might be found with a "Fully Coated" moniker.

Celestron "officially" released the first run of Silvertops for sale November, 1982. These were offered only in the 10mm, 17mm, 26mm, 36mm and 45mm focal lengths. I have the original price guide and flyer with the new product announcement to substantiate this date. The 15mm and 22mm were introduced years later, sometime in 1984, so I doubt that a "Fully Coated" version of these eyepieces was ever made (I would definitely like to hear from anyone that can prove me wrong on this point).

Cheers!
Blake

#22 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yes. Don't think I've ever seen one saying fully multicoated. I don't think it was until the mid 80's that fully multicoated became the rage. Not sure who first started doing this.

You've just gotta love marketing one-ups-man-ship. I'm not sure I can recall a Celestron eyepiece that carried the moniker of "Fully Multi-Coated". Can you?

Thanks!
Blake

#23 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

The entire Ultima line was advertised as Full multi-coating.

#24 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Then after Full Multicoated we had Fully Broadband Multicoated which means nothing really since would hope the eyepiece coatings transmit across the visible spectrum (i.e., broadband) :lol:

#25 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

The entire Ultima line was advertised as Full multi-coating.

Thanks, Steve.

I just checked my Celestron Ultima and Axiom eyepieces and they are indeed marked "Fully Multi-Coated". I never noticed that before! Thanks for pointing it out. I should probably spend more time looking at them in the daytime!!!
:grin:

Cheers!
Blake

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics