LX80 or Ioptron Minitower for Meade 8" SCT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi All,

So what would recommend. I can get an LX80 (new) for about $950 or a used iOptron Minitower (supercharged to beef it up) for about $700. Which would make a better GOTO mount for a Meade 8 inch ACF and why?

Thanks for your time and inputs.

P.S. Mount would be used mainly for visual

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

People probably think you are joking with this thread at this point. :p

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yep. If you are serious, have a look back at the threads on the LX80 over the last year. ;)

I had the chance to (briefly) use Jack Huerkamp's mount...my verdict? While it was not as bad as I feared, it was not nearly as good as a CG5, not nearly. Nor an iOptron. The mount has potential, but it has a long way to go. If Meade sets out to make things right, it could be a winner, but they will have to make fundamental changes. Will they? Don't ask moi, but I ain't that hopeful. :lol:

#4 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks....I have read the threads and was leaning heavily toward a used Minitower for $400. However, I thought I would post and maybe someone would report meade has fixed the more serious poblems with the LX80.

Another option is the Nexstar 8/6 SE mount. Do you all think it would handle the weight of the meade 8 inch ota? Best I can tell it is about 5 pounds heavier than the Celestron 8.

Thoughts on the 8/6se versus iOptron Minitower?

Thanks

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yes, it will handle the weight. The larger of the two mounts is used with Celestron's C8. I will also say that in my opinion it is more reliable and had a better HC than the iOptron.

#6 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

"The larger of the two mounts is used with Celestron's C8."

Is the same mount used for the C6 and C8?

#7 brokenwave

brokenwave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I have a Celestron Nexstar 8" SCT and it takes 5+ seconds for vibrtions to settle. Goto is fine.
I have used a Minitower Pro, same issues 4-5 seconds to settle, goto is great.
Both of these have issues with the tripod being not stout enough.
I have LX80 and it handles a 8" SCT fine, settles in about 2 seconds. But the LX80 has issues as not all of them acting the same, mine settles quickly, goto is good, some other owners take longer and it doesn't handle the weight that Meade has stated. (60% of the weight is probably accurate).
Look for a mount and subtract 40% from what is advertised, try to stay away from tripods with 1.25" dia. legs because most aren't stout enough.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yes, but Celestron also sells the smaller version designed for the SLT scope.

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I have LX80 and it handles a 8" SCT fine, settles in about 2 seconds.

Haven't tried a C8 on the Meade, but a C9.25 takes considerably longer to stop shaking than that--even with a custom-made tripod head (the stock head has been known to break, and could lead to disastrous results).

Otherwise? Worked passably in alt-az mode. In EQ mode it was even shakier than alt-az, and completely lost its alignment spontaneously one night.

It does _look_ pretty, and if Meade would fix it, it would be nice. ;)

#10 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have an LX80 that I'm happy with. I'm not doing astrophotography but for visual with weights under 20 pounts in Polar mode and about 35 in altaz mode it has worked fine for me. I don't remember how long the time is for vibrations to settle out but it is well under 5 seconds.

This mount has certainly not lived up to the published specs but for me it is a winner. The only thing I don't like is the weight. I'm 65 with arthritis in my hips and I over estimated what I could move with comfort!

Don't know anything about the Minitower. All in all, a nice CG5 is the best under $1,000 mount I've used.

I guess I'd take advice from Rod and Ed over jut about anyone when it comes to mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics