• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

This forum is a great place but I'd like to see if there are other similar forums dedicated to video astronomy anywhere else on the web. I tried a search on Yahoo Groups but didn't find anything good . I'd appreciate some help.
Thanks,
Matt

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Matt,

You mean an active current group or forum that's not vendor specific?

I haven't seen one (but that doesn't mean that there isn't one). There's a lot of good info in the Mallincam and Samsung camera Yahoo groups ... you just need to keep your vendor filter in place. Beyond that I've just seen some video specific discussions in some of the astrophotography forums, but it's pretty limited.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Y! videoastro
The original video astro group, long before vendors produced long-exposure videocams in commercial quantity, people there were doing DIY using 1004x Exview (and the like) board cameras and timed video frame capture (i.e., do not waste time capture identical/redundant video frames).
Most most pleasant part is that very little vendor marketing (some half a cup) there. Nowadays with many vendor-specific forums around, that forum seems be a bit slowed down.

#4 bhuvfe

bhuvfe

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Maybe this?
http://stargazerslou...ideo-astronomy/

But it is not as active as this one...

#5 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

Matt,

You mean an active current group or forum that's not vendor specific?

I haven't seen one (but that doesn't mean that there isn't one). There's a lot of good info in the Mallincam and Samsung camera Yahoo groups ... you just need to keep your vendor filter in place. Beyond that I've just seen some video specific discussions in some of the astrophotography forums, but it's pretty limited.

Thanks for the answer. I tried to find the Samsung group but there are thousands of Samsung groups , all smart phone oriented of course, thousands of samsung video groups mostly phone oriented , so I just couldn't find the right one. Do you have its exact name , please ?

#6 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

That would be: http://tech.groups.y...oup/sdc435club/

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

This forum is a great place but I'd like to see if there are other similar forums dedicated to video astronomy anywhere else on the web. I tried a search on Yahoo Groups but didn't find anything good . I'd appreciate some help.
Thanks,
Matt

Videoastro, a Yahoogroup, has been around for years and years and is still kicking.

Stellacam is still around, but is moribund, I guess due to the fact that original Stellacam maker, Adirondack, went out of business and that the new vendor, Cosmologic, has a lower profile and has only participated a time or three.

The premier Yahoogroup is Mallincam, where you can regularly find not only Jack H., but Mr. Rock himself. ;)

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Y! videoastro
The original video astro group, long before vendors produced long-exposure videocams in commercial quantity, people there were doing DIY using 1004x Exview (and the like) board cameras and timed video frame capture (i.e., do not waste time capture identical/redundant video frames).
Most most pleasant part is that very little vendor marketing (some half a cup) there. Nowadays with many vendor-specific forums around, that forum seems be a bit slowed down.

We go back even farther than that (am the current group owner), having been around since folks were playing with camcorders and the legendary PC23C. :cool:

#9 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thanks everybody for all the above very thorough answers .

#10 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Starry Dave's Astro Emporium is dedicated to video astronomy and has an active forum section. He has also developed some excellent free video astronomy related programs that are available for download to registered members.

Astro Dave's Astro Emporium

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics