• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I was at REI tonight and found some touch screen compatible gloves by Manzella. They work great with my iPad, iPhone or laptop touchpad. It is nice in cold weather not having to expose a finger. I do imaging in cold weather quite a bit. These will keep my fingers warmer than my shooting gloves with the fold back finger mitts. The first finger and thumb have the special touch so you can pinch and zoom on the screen.

When it is really cold, I will set my laptop up on a heating pad running on medium. Keeps my laptop from shutting down do to extreme temps. I also will rotate a set of eyepieces on the edge of the pad to keep them a little warmer. Once an eyepiece starts fogging from my breath, I will swap the cold one out with a warmer one that is sitting on the heating pad.

#2 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I like the heating pad idea!

I've been thinking I could use gloves like you describe. Maybe when I get my REI dividend in a couple of weeks. A couple of times my finger tips have gotten so cold they don't work on my iPad touch screen!
  • jackofalltrades likes this

#3 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

After reading this, I dropped by Academy Sports and picked up a pair of those gloves (on "sale" -- couple bucks off), and I tried them out last night: they work great! Kept my hands warm, but I could still use my iPad and iPhone. Perfect!

I'm searching for a 12V heating pad next ...

-- Chris

#4 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

I thought I would resurrect this thread from last winter. 

This is spring and summer I have been using my iPad and skySafari for star hopping to great success. But the last 2 nights my iPad has shut down when it is only -6C. ( interestingly the message on the iPad is that it has overheated and needs to shut down until it cools). 

i am looking for a trick on how to keep my iPad warm. Has anyone found a 12v heater or other method they would recommend?

#5 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

If you don't have a case for it you might consider that,  or try attaching a chemical hand warmer to the back with elastic band, or if it sits on a table when not being used just lay it on a hand warmer.

Eric

#6 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

Beatlejuice:

I think I will give your suggestion a try. We have a couple of more days with chillier temps but good viewing ahead of us. 

#7 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:42 AM

Good luck, we have chillier days as well, along with the clouds.

Eric

#8 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

I use the iPad mini and keep it in my pocket with a few hand warmers when not in use.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics