Sky Commander Sticky Buttons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hi All:

I purchased a DM-6 mount in Sept. and really love it. I bought the Sky Commander with it and it has been fun. Works really well. I have noticed, however, that when it gets colder out some of the buttons get sticky. They make a noise and are slower to respond. Has anyone else noticed this? I plan on writing to Tom at Discmounts but was wondering if it is a common problem.

Thanks, Kent

#2 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

I've used a Sky Commander for many years now and have never noticed a sticky button.....if what you mean is a mechanical stickiness. (I have the newer style black box version). Cold weather can and does make processing sluggish. That is the reason I use external 12 volt power when it gets cold....like now in Ohio! This will cause the unit to activate an internal heater, thus eliminating any slowness or sluggishness of the unit. More than likely your unit is just fine. Call Tom if you need more information or have questions/concerns. He is a great guy and very helpful.

#3 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Chucky. Yes it is a mechanical problem. I understand the slower response of the unit otherwise in the cold. But the key makes a different noise and is slow to bounce back. I also have a black one. I'll contact Tom. Yes, he has been very helpful in the past. Thanks again.

#4 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

The Sky Comm has an internal heater?!?!? I new I loved that thing!

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Sky Comm has an internal heater?!?!? I new I loved that thing!

It does...BUT...it only operates when you power the SC from an external 12 volt source.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics