Jupiter Sketch 1/1/13

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I’ve tried my hand with color sketching again. This time with soft pastels and color pencils. It’s gonna take some time to get it the way I want but it’s fun to do but takes more time.

What I found interesting with this side of Jupiter was the way some features of seemed to line up in longitude. The STB ends at a point where the SEB’s turbulence ends as well. the SEB is darker on the following side of the turbulence. And it so happens that a large festoon base with a small oval on the NEBs also lines up on this longitude. I found this interesting and in the past have noticed other patterns ocurring on the planet.

Clear and steady skies. Dean

1/1/13 2:15 UT

CMl 147.63 CMll 252.29 CMlll 316.89

171x Apodizing screen Baader MSG filter and without filter

Seeing 2.5 Antonadia’s scale Transparency 5

Santa Cruz, Ca

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Dean, the ruddy hue in the NEB is perfect. The grays in the NTZ and southern tropical and temperate zones, too. I like the way you captured those "Alfalfa hair-do" spikes along the NTB. Lot of activity, if not well defined, in the EZn last time I looked (not sure of the CM.)

Curious about the much darker STB, what's going on there? Did the GRS rotate off the "left" of the edge (or is there something new since I observed in the past two weeks?) Just spent two hours cleaning my optics last night hoping for clear skies tonight.

#3 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Dean, looks good and quite impressive. I've also been trying my hand at color sketching it adds a whole new layer of fun to recording the planets.

Rich (RLTYS)

#4 payner

payner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Dean: Really like the color pencil rendering. Jupiter has been putting on one of the best views this opposition I've witnessed.

Best
Randy

#5 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thanks guys.

Norme, I might have been heavy handed in the rendering of the STB but what caught my eye was the way the other features "below" it lined up in longitude.

Rich, I'm glad to hear you been color sketching as well. Like you said it does add a new layer of fun to it. My awareness of color and intensities I'm sure will improve if I keep up with it. I remember Carlos' sketches and how he listed the intensities of features in his report on 1- 10 scale.

Randy, This apparition has been very interesting and there's more on the way!

Thanks again everyone and Happy New Year. Dean

#6 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Dean, that's really really nice. Very good colors and fine detail. I like the droopy bits on the NTBn and the turbulence in the SEB is nicely rendered.

About the equatorial festoons...a couple of nights ago I had the GRS on the meridian in my 18-inch: nearly the entire equatorial zone seemed filled with blue-gray clouds, with large blue festoon bases on the NEB; there was just a thin band of white along the SEB boundary, and fairly small white oval patches along the NEB boundary, so that the festoons were huge blue arches defined only by those small white ovals. You seem to have drawn something like this here, with larger white areas under the arches...but then, this is the other side of the planet.

Thanks for the sketch!

-geo

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Dean

You really captured the Jovian hues well. You should do all your sketches n color. One of the best color drawings I've seen.

Pete

#8 astronz59

astronz59

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Lovelly work, Dean. You've managed to capture the hue and festoon details perfectly! :refractor::crazyeyes: :ubetcha: :thewave:

#9 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thank you very much for the kind comments.

George, I can barely make out the wavy edge on the NTBn at 171x. Would love to go higher with the mag but conditions just haven't been good enough,though I'm lucky to have a clear sky. Your comment about the festoon bases and festoons on the GRS sides holds up with what I've seen as well. They are very prominent on that side.

Pete, Thanks for the encouragement on the color sketching at the scope I'm doing the sketching in pencil at the scope and later I make a sketch of it in color. More work but it's another aspect of Jupiter that is interesting to observe.

Astronz59, This apparition the EQZ has been putting on a great show.

Thanks again for the encouraging comments. Clear and steady comments. Dean

#10 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Man Dean ! That is a real work of art !

#11 oracleman

oracleman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bizkaia - Spain

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

Really cool, so detailed... I like the activity between neb and seb, and white zones on the seb! Colors are very real also... I like it a lot!!!! :bow:

Regards

#12 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thank you very much Starrancher and Oracleman.

Sorry about the my late reply but i've been sick with the flu, better now though after a few days rest. I'm anxious to see what's happening with Jupiter since my last observation.

Clear and steady skies. Dean

#13 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi Dean

Very nice sketch, thanks for posting it. The colors turned out well.

I have used colors in the past but it can be more work to get it to look right.

Do you find that the apodizing screen helps to enhance the detail all of the time or just when the seeing is variable?

Best,

Eric Jamison

#14 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Thank you Eric.

I know what you mean about the color sketching taking more time. I feel I need more practice to really get it down but it's been fun and good learning.

The apodizing screen is useful on most nights. The only time I don't use it is when the seeing is near perfect which is rare. Observing Jupiter in early twilight I've noticed that the screen was not useful but as the sky darkened the screen definitely improved the image.

Dean

#15 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

• Loc: SARASOTA,FL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

very nice sketch.impressive.

#16 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you Robert.

Good luck with your future observations of Jupiter.

Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics