2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum!
First of all let me say that this nexstar 6se is absolutely a blast and I am already hooked on this hobby just two weeks in!!!

I have heard some conflicting information about installing a 2" diagonal on my nexstar 6se.(Telescopes.com beleives it does not accept a 2" diagonal). So after hearing this I decided to go ahead and purchase two 1.25" EP's.
Baader hyperion 21mm(I've heard it goes to 2") and Edmund 28mm RKE

I viewed a 2" on a friends dob and I have to say I was impressed with the comfort of the EP and I would like the ability to upgrade to nicer EP's on my nexstar in the future (Cost is not a big factor for me)

Would you guys recommend that I upgrade to a 2"? Or better than that do you guys even think a 2" is compatible?

Any help would be awesome I am already completely in love with this hobby and forum and I greatly appreciate any replies!

#2 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Oh let me also note that I do have a power-pack and a dew shield after I saw a lot of people recommending them. Dew shield comes in tomorrow!

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi giantfan92 and welcome to the forum!

The 6SE will definitely accept a 2" diagonal. You'd want to get an SCT-type diagonal that threads directly onto the rear cell. You remove your current visual back piece, and install the diagonal instead. Nearly all 2" diagonals come with a 1.25" adapter so you'll be able to use your 1.25" eyepieces too.

Note that for any 1.25" eyepiece, there will be no advantage in moving to a 2" diagonal. So, while your Baader 21mm Hyperion will indeed fit into a 2" diagonal (with or without an adapter), the view you see through it will be the same as with a 1.25" diagonal.

There are 2 advantages of a 2" diagonal. One is that it is a more secure connection to the scope for larger eyepieces, cameras, binoviewers, and other heavier accessories. The other advantage is that it allow you to use 2" eyepieces.

As you buy eyepieces with longer focal lengths and wider views, you reach a point where it will no longer fit into a 1.25" barrel. In the Baader lineup, a 24mm/68° eyepiece is at this maximum. To achieve any wider view, the eyepiece needs to be designed as a 2" rather than a 1.25". And of course if the eyepiece is designed as a 2", then it needs a 2" diagonal.

The Baader combo eyepieces, with the 1.25"/2" design, are really just 1.25" eyepieces. They have a 2" part to the outer barrel so that they fit into a 2" diagonal without an adapter, but the optics are designed to fit into a 1.25" barrel.

-Dan

#4 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi Giant, a warm welcome to the NexStar forum.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yes, the 6SE will accept a 2" diagonal as shown here in this photo of my 6SE on the rear patio at home. As Dan says, you need a diagonal that has an SCT threaded locking-ring.

Posted Image

Also seen in this photo is a skylight filter (which is between the diagonal and the rear cell of the scope - which is why there are TWO locking rings) my RACI finder (behind the scope) and, on the top, a multi-reticle finder (much better than the standard red-dot finder IMHO). The EP is a Celestron Ultima 35mm.

Art

#5 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Wow!! I really appreciate the quick reply both of you guys!! What 2" diagonal would you guys reccomend?

#6 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

William Optics 2" Carbon Fibre

Link: 2" WO Carbon Fibre Diagonal

Art

#7 jhirsch

jhirsch

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

FIrst off welcome aboard giantfan92. As you already know you've found THE site to grow your understanding and appreciation of the night sky.

Now to your questions.... Yes you can attach a 2" diagonal to a 6se. However there are a few things to consider.

1. Be careful of the clearance of the diagonal to the base while pointed at zenith.
2. While a 2" diagonal will allow you to obtain a slightly larger FOV there is no way the 6se can compete w a dob when it comes to wide views. Just can't break the laws of physics....
3. If I remember correctly I thought I had read somewhere that there are/were issues with the threads on the 2" Astro-Tech diagonals. maybe someone else can chime in on that. I have a 2" GSO and it threads on just fine. The threads are very fine so when attaching be careful that you don't cross thread it.
4. Possibly consider a focal reducer also. Drawback to the focal reducer is it WILL cause diagonal/base clearance issues when pointed at zenith unless some slight modifications are done to the dove tail. You can find them in the Links and Best of the Celestron NexStar Fourm.

Again Welcome aboard and Clear Skies

Jerry

#8 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the reply! What exactly would the benefits of a focal reducer be for this scope? Sorry for the newborn questions I'm on my phone at work!

#9 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hi Giant, a warm welcome to the NexStar forum.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yes, the 6SE will accept a 2" diagonal as shown here in this photo of my 6SE on the rear patio at home. As Dan says, you need a diagonal that has an SCT threaded locking-ring.

Posted Image

Also seen in this photo is a skylight filter (which is between the diagonal and the rear cell of the scope - which is why there are TWO locking rings) my RACI finder (behind the scope) and, on the top, a multi-reticle finder (much better than the standard red-dot finder IMHO). The EP is a Celestron Ultima 35mm.

Art

Art--very nice setup. Can you supply the details of your RACI and the finder? What are they and how did you attach both of them to the 6SE?

Not thrilled with my red dot, and am looking for alternatives.

#10 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Great info guys! I want to upgrade to the 2" because I see myself buying like a 12" dob after I learn the skies really well.

Art, that is a very attractive looking scope!

#11 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi giantfan92,

Pretty much any of the major brands of 2" diagonal will do. Just be sure to get one that's has a dielectric coating. That makes the mirror surface much harder and resistant to scratches from cleaning. You DON'T need a "quartz dielectric", just "dielectric coating".

Some of the well known, reasonably priced brands are GSO, Astrotech, and William Optics. You probably won't see one bit of difference between the brands when you're looking through them. But the William Optics is just cooler looking on the outside! :cool: (costs more too, unfortunately).

-Dan

#12 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Dan! I will most certainly be purchasing one of those. I've had almost as much fun buying more stuff for my scope as I have had observing lol!

#13 jhirsch

jhirsch

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

:funny: :roflmao:

#14 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hey guys this looks like a really good buy!

Any opinions?

http://agenaastro.co...r-diagonal.html

Edit: Would you guys recommend a particular barlow with this?

Lots of questions forgive me!

#15 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have this one which works fine with the 2" diagonal on my 6SE.

http://agenaastro.co...arlow-lens.html

#16 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks! I was actually just looking at this, its good to hear from someone with the same scope.

#17 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi giantfan92:

That GSO model from Agena Astro will work fine. Nice thing about Agena is that they nearly always have free shipping.

I have the same barlow that Eddie mentioned above, and it is an excellent quality barlow for a good price. Someone here on Cloudy Nights did a comparison of 2" barlows a while back and this one came out even with or slightly ahead of some much more expensive models.

Seems to be out of stock now at Agena, but if I remember correctly, it was around $60 or so.

-Dan

#18 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

It also comes with a 1.25" adapter. Both have brass compression rings.

#19 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Just bought this gso 2" 90 deg, seems like a great price! I have been googling that barlow a ton but I cant seem to find it! Now on to 2" eye peices... I'm gonna be hooked up!

If only it would stop raining lol

#20 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

http://www.opticsmar...compression-...

Looks like I am going to settle for this. From everything ive seen it seems like apertura is the same thing as GSO.

Lets hope im right. Anyone have input on apertura?

Thanks!

#21 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hi Jack

Can't remember the make of the RACI off the top of my head but I'm 99% certain that it is an Antares.

Multi-reticle finder (MRF) is the same kind of finder used as a gunsight with an appropriate quick-release shoe.

Both are screwed into the aluminium casting of the rear cell. The shoe for the RACI (also quick-release) has holes that were of a different spacing to the holes of the Celestron RDF - so I removed the rear cell, drilled and tapped the holes and then replaced the rear cell.

I documented the procedure here: linky-dink

Hope this helps,

Art

#22 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Looks like I am going to settle for this. From everything ive seen it seems like apertura is the same thing as GSO.

Thanks!

Just bumping this so people can view on the second page.

#23 chuck56

chuck56

Ranger 4

• Loc: Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Not to highjack the thread but how did you get the ota that far back on the dovetail bar?

#24 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks!

Looks like the same one as the GSO to me. Most of these items are sourced from the same far-east manufacturer and just dressed up slightly differently depending on who's selling it.

-Dan

#25 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hi Chuck

Nothing special. No extra bars/spacers etc. Just pushed the OTA as far forward as it would go until the rear cell fouled on the arm's plastic shroud (cover).

Should I need the OTA to be more forward, I'd need a rail or spacers between the dovetail and the OTA.

Art

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics