•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Pup- Fantastic seeing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rutilus

Rutilus

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

With Sirius only getting to around +19 degrees altitude from my site, it takes a night of really good
seeing to go after the Pup.
For the past two days it has very mild here at around +12C, and last night with my Carton 100mm f/13 Achromat
I was taken by how easy it was to see stars E and F in the Trapezium.
Moving down to Rigel, I got a quite wonderful view with the star presenting a very stable image.

So this was definitely the night to go Pup hunting. Using a 12.5mm Baader Genuine Orthoscopic
eyepiece (104x) Sirius gave a stunning view, never before had I seen the image so stable.
With the Carton lens, Sirius was pure brilliant white, with just the very tiniest flash of blue C.A.
visible. I picked the Pup up within about 10 seconds of getting Sirius into the eyepiece, there it was,
no if's no but's, not just glimpsed now and again, but a constant steady faint dot.

What a fantastic view, I spent the next hour just taking in the view, this type of seeing
so low down is exceedingly rare for me from this location.

I tried several different filters to see which if any gave an advantage.

1. No-Filter. The Pup was seen very well in spite of the brilliance of Sirius.
2. Baader Semi-APO. The only difference I could see over the non-filtered view was
a slight dimming of the over-all view. Still the companion star was still easy to see.
3. Baader Contrast Booster. This filter did make a difference, it completely removed
the bluish tint of C.A. from the eyepiece view. There was a very slight colour cast,
with Sirius now appearing a slightly dirty white. However it provided the best views
of the companion.
4. Yellow and Green filters. The companion was still visible when using these filters,
a bit harder with the green filter.

So on the night, the Contrast Booster filter work very well indeed, and on nights of average seeing
I think this will be the one I use when Pup hunting.

#2 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Isn't the Baader semi-APO a combination of the Contrast Booster and Fringe Killer?
If so I'm puzzled why it didn't perform similarly?

#3 Rutilus

Rutilus

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Kon, interesting what you say regarding the Semi-Apo.
I have now tried this filter on half a dozen achromats,and all it does is dim the image slightly compared to the un-filtered view.
Any C.A. visible remains the same in the all the scopes I tried it on. With the filter there is no colour cast, unlike the Contrast Booster
which gives a slightly pale yellow tint. On all the scopes I tried the Contrast Booster completely removes any trace of C.A.

On my refractors, the Semi-apo has been a complete waste of time. However, when used with my C9.25 SCT it is a superb Mars filter.

Last night I viewed Sirius again but in just average seeing conditions, the Pup was much harder, this time only visible
in moments lasting 3-5 seconds at most.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics