• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 starman50

starman50

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have a way of stabilizing tripods.

Buy a screw in anchor and place under tripod. A rachet strap connected between bottom of tripod and anchor tightened to your desire.

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

That's pretty creative. I never thought to do that :) Welcome to the site!

#3 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hanging a weight under the tripod works well, too. A gallon jug of water or...

Attached Files

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Buy a screw in anchor and place under tripod. A rachet strap connected between bottom of tripod and anchor tightened to your desire.

What surface are you observing on? I don't know many that would take a screw well even once, let alone repeated placements.

#5 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Tony I would hazard a guess that he means one of those things that you screw into the ground to limit a dog's range via a rope or long leash.

#6 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

My vote is with Terry's method. I've used a water jug on a rope suspended from the tripod's center eyepiece tray...works fine.
-----
Dave

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I just watched a guy on YouTube suggest that you gently pull the feet out a little to tension the legs.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

I think it's a great idea if I hadn't built my ROR. Not only would it anchor your scope down in high winds (an issue in SD) but it provides some extra tension on the rig to include providing you with a common reference spot in your yard for observing.

For a multitude of materials you could either anchor into it via a hammer drill and some concrete anchors or remove a section of the deck and just have the strap anchored down to the ground from there with your 'tension' source such as a come-along on the deck-side.

Fantastic share Terry! :)

#9 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks, Chris!

One more minor tip would be to have some small part of the "weight" actully touching the ground if it is windy. Then the swinging weight could add some additional oscillations to the eyepiece view.

starman50's suggestion certainly has merit when the observing ground allows the screw-in anchor method.

Also, welcome to the Forums starman!

#10 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Attaching to an eyelet in a five gallon bucket filled with concrete would be an easier option; depending on the size of scope of course.

#11 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I thought of that but hadn't yet actually done it;was thinking of bungee cord(tarp strap) as used here in rural area.The ratchet strap would be more secure though. And some light chain with a small turnbuckle could really pull down.

Then again,somewhere I recently read advice that center weight is exactly the wrong thing ,that weight should be on the bottom of the tripod legs.

Has this ever been analyzed by an engineer ?

I do know the tripod with ridgid center spreaders plates are way more stable than those with the thin floppy (easily bent) leg hinges.

#12 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Take a look again at my pic posted on 1/4 here. Talk about stable, this puppy locks the legs together with a glued/screwed together tripod tray. Very solid!

#13 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Attaching to an eyelet in a five gallon bucket filled with concrete would be an easier option; depending on the size of scope of course.

Not if you have to move that bucket!
And I sure wouldn't want to lift the bucket to hang on my mount..

#14 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Welcome aboard! Being a handy man is helpful for this hobby.

#15 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:19 AM

Tying to the ground with a screw in anchor is a great way to stabilize and can also be handy to protect equipment from damage, ie: at a public event or a stargaze, someone bumping into and accidently overturning or even trying to quickly snatch unattended equipment.

#16 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

One method I've seen used with the screw anchor is to screw-in most of the way, secure your tripod with paracord, or rope, strap, bungee, or whatever you prefer, then can finalize tension by twisting anchor slightly.

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Then again,somewhere I recently read advice that center weight is exactly the wrong thing ,that weight should be on the bottom of the tripod legs.

I have never done an analysis but my gut feeling is that you want the load on the tripod itself, you are basically loading it, putting all the connections and joints into compression, taking the play out of the connections, making it less sensitive small perturbations.

My solution is to just use a tripod that is appropriate for the job, that way I can move it as needed. Generally the problems are in the legs, legs made from 2x2s, 2x3s are amazingly stiff.

Jon

Jon

#18 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

My only experience is with Celestron CPC and NexStar tripods. Using a screw in the ground anchor (similar to a anchor for a tent or pet leash) secured to the center of tripod spreader/eyepiece holder, under tension, did seem to put a load on the tripods, adding stabilization from vibration, especially with the NexStar tripod.

#19 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hey just saw this. I have tried a tent stake and a bungee cord when observing from the lawn. It does look promising so far. I'm thinking this can also keep the setup from moving when people (i.e. me) bump it.

#20 schang

schang

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: columbia, sc

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

I do know the tripod with ridgid center spreaders plates are way more stable than those with the thin floppy (easily bent) leg hinges.

A center load would put all three legs (including joints/connections) in compression and stabilize it. I used a 5 lbs gym weight on a light weight tripod, it does stabilize the tripod with my C90 Mak.

#21 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

I like the idea of hanging my battery and getting double duty out of it! For NexStar tripods, do you tie a cord of whatever substance to the long bolt, directly under the EP tray and then tighten the nut as usual,? Does the tray, and its notches that articulate with the tripod legs, stabilize and "lock" as usual?

I'm just curious about the right way to arrange and connect the cord and the nut/long bolt on the tripod so that everything is secure. Picture?

Jon

#22 schang

schang

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: columbia, sc

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

My C90 tripod is different from the 102GT tripod, which has a hook under the center rod, above which is a reinforcing tri-brace sliding along the center rod when collapsed. I hang a 5 lbs dead weight to that hook with a rope. In your case, the tripod comes with a tray (based on the picture from the Internet), there is no hook for the rope. If this is the case, you can still use a rope/cord circle around the three ends of the tray leading to the legs, and tie down your battery pack or a dead weight. you can adjust the dead weight so it is centered under the tray. This will also lowered the center of gravity of the setup, and stabilize the tripod.

#23 JonNPR

JonNPR

Ranger 4

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thanks Shien.
Yes, A hook would make it so easy!

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics