CGE Pro Cables

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Ok, I'm buying a CGE Pro... I need to know what cables I need. Can my autoguider cable be plugged into the CGE Pro or do I need a Shoestring USB adapter? I also need to know how to connect my computer to the mount to be controlled via Maxim 5. Celestron doesn't seem to say too much in their manual about autoguider or the aux ports. I'm looking forward to getting this beast... :) Thanks!

-Bill

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hey Bill...it's equipped with and autoguide port. A guide camera like Orion's SSAG will have the proper cable. For your laptop, you may need an RS232 to USB adapter, but I may be wrong about this. I'd give the guys at Astronomics a call to find out for sure. But I'd be willing to bet that one of the Pro owners here will be chiming in shortly.

David

#3 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

I don't have a pro but AFAIK all the Celestron mounts are the same.
Autoguide uses a straight through cable between the autoguide port on my Atik camera and the port on the mount. I expect your Autoguide cable will just plug straight in.

The RS232 control for the mount plugs into the base of the HC. There may be a cable supplied with the mount, some have this, some don't.
You will need a RS232 to USB adaptor. These are notoriously unreliable, the only ones I've found to be good are the IOGear and FTDI ones.
The HC and Aux ports are interchangable, the HC and other devices designed to plug into the AUX port can be plugged into either, but NOT the autoguide port.
You can ignore the PC port. There is nothing that currently needs this.

Hope this helps,

Chris

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

For info on the connectivity options on the mount ... http://www.nexstarsi...arCablingV5.pdf

The site also contains a lot of other useful information about the mount (and other Celestron products).

#5 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info! :grin:

-Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics