• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Has anyone run across a problem where the thread-in Questar colored filters stop the eyepiece from threading into the eyepiece holder or hitting against the diaphragm stop at the bottom of the eyepiece holder? I just bought a used
Questar that came with a full eyepiece filter set of the Questar-branded filters. When you thread them into the eyepiece then the eyepiece will not thread into the holder on the telescope.

This is very disappointing and seems out of place given that these are supposed to be their filters. Of course I can still use them on my other OTAs but it would be nice to use them on the scope they were supposed to have been made for.

#2 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have no problem with internal clearance when I attach VernonScope filters to my Brandons. I did, however, when I used the VernonScope adapter to attach filters from other manufacturers. The adaptor added about a quarter-inch to the length of the filter stack, and most of those filters from other manufacturers are also thicker than those made by VernonScope. As a result, I don't use the adaptor and other-market filters anymore. The good news is, I much prefer the view without filters anyway, whether VernonScope or not.

Is it possible that your eyesight is such that you have to screw the eyepiece holder in farther than most of us to achieve finder focus? If so, that might explain why there isn't room for your eyepiece/filter combination.

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

In my Questar 7, I used many Questar filters without any trouble.

I suggest you just call Jim Reichert at Questar or Don Yeiyer at Vernonscope. They are very knowledgable people and will clear this for you in no time.

#4 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

You might be onto something with the eyesight thing and having to screw the diopter adjustment in further for the finder to focus (it does come to a clean focus though). It did seem to me like I had to turn it in quite a ways for the focus to clear up.

The filters are very nice filters and are genuine Vernon-Scope filters sold by Questar. If you install an eyepiece with the filter threaded in, you can insert it right down to the treads, but you can get maybe a half to one full turn and then the filter wedges in to the bottom of the well, just above the diaphragm stop. I also normally do not use filters, just thought I would try them. I will use them with my other scopes and eyepieces anyway.

#5 Michael Lomb

Michael Lomb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Island New Zealand

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

Yes I found the same problem with Vernonscope  filters in the Questar  eyepiece holder. With the filter in place, both the green and the lunar filter, rotating the diopter adjustment causes filter to hit the inside side wall of the eyepiece holder at one point, enough to scrape the paint off the filter edge and eyepiece holder at one point. Rotating the diopter adjustment does not keep the filter in the center of rotation. I would consider this a design flaw of the Questar rather than the filter. For this reason I don't use the filters. This problem should not be there. 

#6 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

That is my overall observation as well. I think they have made a number of very well calculated compromises in the design of the scope but it is hard to make that many without crossing something up. Originally you had this wonderfully made little travel scope, then they started trying to add new functionality to it with all kinds of add-ons, some of which work well and some look rather "Rube Goldberg". I am keeping mine pretty much factory and willing to live with it as is.

#7 seeindoubles

seeindoubles

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

For anyone out there with a similar problem, I found the cause:
This was a used Q. At some point, the previous owner had loosened up the clamp screws that retain the tube assembly in the mount ring. My guess is, they were trying to loosen tension to be able to rotate the tube in the mount rings. Anyway, the tube had come off location in the mount, then they had tightened the clamp screws again. This put tension on the eyepiece tube to the point of actually deforming it. We are talking about soft aluminum here! I readjusted the tube assembly in the mount and re-tightened the screws on the plastic pieces that clamp the tube in. Now the eyepieces thread in freely with the filters installed and 1 1/4" eyepieces also fit as expected in the eyepiece tube. Problem solved!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics