Angular contact bearings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Has anyone tried using angular contact bearings for the ends of the worm gear in a CGEM? I heard some discussion a while back and was interested in maybe giving them a shot. I have noticed that there is a tiny bit of lateral play in all of the different standard type bearings I have tried. Finding the right balance between tight enough and too tight has been a bit of a challenge at times.

I found these listed at vbx.com and was wondering if these might work:

http://www.vxb.com/p...s/PROD/kit14249

I guess I am just getting bored with all of the cloudy weather lately. I keep finding myself looking for excuses to fiddle with the mount.

Thanks,

Chris

#2 Wembley2000

Wembley2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I ordered those exact bearings for my ieq45 expecting to see a noticable difference. I did not notice any difference with regular bearings, the fine line between tight enough and too tight seemed the same to me, I would save your money.

Brian

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've just been playing with some angular contact bearings for this purpose recently. So far, I'm not convinced that they do any better than properly adjusted standard bearings so I'm dissapointed. They seem to be just as difficult to adjust and no less prone to play in this application. When it comes down to it, the problem we have here is very slow movement on bearings that are capable of very high rpm. Were this a high rpm system, I expect that the difference would be more noticeable, but I think that in this application there is more to be gained from using good high quality ceramic balls in a standard bearings than in using angular contact bearings.

#4 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Much appreciated. Too bad they did not work out.

Thanks,

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics