• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Well, I drove a couple hours to check out the Classic 8. I shined a flashlight into the tube and noticed some small faint spider web looking imperfections around the perimeter of the main mirror. One tripod leg was cracked, and it was missing the drive cord. Based on the primary mirror issue, I declined to buy it.

#27 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

The Flashlight test is not always a good thing!
There could have been Spider webs in there! Not a big deal tho.. the cracked leg is another thing, I have even tried
Industrial Epoxy, no good.
I did see a guy that took a large radiator clamp and put a nut inside it, and make a bolt that threaded into it and pushed on the lock. It did work, looked like heck but worked..

#28 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

"Having said all that, my Starbright coatings started to fail about 10 years ago. Small pinpoints of oxidation on the primary and spiderwebbing oxidation on the secondary. Very sad and I've still kept the scope for sentimental reasons." That was a quote from Blake earlier in this post and I was thinking maybe that is what was happening.Didn't seem like spider webs - more like the little bitty cracks were right on the mirror. What does a primary mirror look like when the coatings leave town? How would you be able to check without pulling the corrector plate off? Wish I could take it home and know for sure.

#29 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

This may be a stupid question but, cant these spiderwebbed mirrors be sent off and recoated to fix that like I do my newtonian mirrors??

#30 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

..for me the best source for used SCT's is still uncle Rods booklet !
:bow: :bow: :bow:

http://skywatch.brai...ed/used_sct.pdf

Michael

#31 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

The Classic C8 was introduced in 1989, which was well after the Halley era. That's not to say the thing wasn't some left over inventory.

The C8+ used the DC powered base first seen on the C5+ in the mid-nineties. The optical tube is the same as that found on the contemporary Ultima 8s. The RA drive was built around a pretty accurate microprocessor controlled servomotor pushing a spur gear. A similar drive was used in the DC Ultima mount, but the Ultima had a worm gear drive. The C8+ got new forks and a integrated tripod/wedge and was rebranded as the CeleStar 8 in 1996.

Assuming the optics are the same I'd lean toward the C8+ for it's better drive system, portability, better tripod and later manufacture. But $550 would be high market for the C8+.

That is correct, BUT...to avoid confusion on the part of the newbies let me add that the C8+ is different from the Super C8 PLUS, which was earlier, with the + really being more like a Powerstar, _a stripped down_ Powerstar.

#32 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Don't forget the Celestar wedgepod BLEEECH!
I did get some great shots of Hale Bopp Piggybacked
on top of one tho. Made the local papers.
It had outstanding optics kind of in the Ultima
quality range in that respect!

#33 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Don't forget the Celestar wedgepod BLEEECH!
I did get some great shots of Hale Bopp Piggybacked
on top of one tho. Made the local papers.
It had outstanding optics kind of in the Ultima
quality range in that respect!

Yep, but to add to the confusion, the Celestar had that dadgum wedgepod (OK for visual I reckon) while the Celestar Deluxe used a standard wedge and HD tripod.

#34 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I have a Classic 8 I bought recently for $350. The corrector had a film on the inside requiring the corrector to be removed from the tube and cleaned which I did. This I feel is why the price was a very reasonable amount. At least I was happy to pay $350

Yes, $350 is a good price. OTA's regularly sell around $450 with no accessories. Best price I got last year was $600 for an ex-Ultima OTA. The film shows up on any older C8. If it ain't there it's been cleaned. $100 isn't bad pay for half an hour's work.

He's referring to the center post tripod that replaced the classic locked triangle. There were two styles of center post, the one with levers and the one with hand wheels. I had one that slipped and fixed it somehow, but it's been a while and I forget. Bicycle seat post cam over clamps are good insurance and cheap enough. Personally, I like the center post tripod better than the 1990 Ultima's. (My '89 came with the centerpost type.) The Ultima tripod has a pretty high breakage rate also. A tripod wasn't included with the Classic 8, so you either bought used or ponied up for the Ultima type.

#35 Blake Andrews

Blake Andrews

Ranger 4

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

This may be a stupid question but, cant these spiderwebbed mirrors be sent off and recoated to fix that like I do my newtonian mirrors??

The short answer is "Yes". OMI in Iowa City has offered mirror restoration services in the past. I'm thinking about looking into it when I have some spare change. The optics on my Super C8 Plus were the best I have ever seen in a C8 and would definitely be worth re-coating. Hmmm, might have helped that my eyes were 30 years younger at that time, too.
:grin:

Cheers!
Blake

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics