Need tripod for Barska Cosmos 25 x 100 binoculars

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cobra_fat

cobra_fat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I purchased a cheap tripod for $70. It couldn't handle the weight. These binoculars weigh almost 9 lbs.

I should have know a tripod that weighs about 1/2 of the binoculars would not work.

Any recommendations?

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

This Manfrotto-like tripod/head offered by Garrett is a proper tripod for a binocular in that weight range. It is sufficiently tall and sturdy enough for standing binocular use. It's not a $70 tripod though. :smirk:

There are good buys on Ebay for used tripods and heads. The tall Manfrotto 26# rated geared center column tripods (3036, 3046, 3051) are common but you have to be familiar enough with them to spot a good buy. They have been in production for decades with occasional upgrades and changes. Some are in poor shape. Good photos provided by the seller are the only way to tell if they are cherries or junk.

Too many consumer "photo" tripods are either too light or too short or both. A 9# bino really works best on a geared column tripod as height changes are frequently necessary. At least a new Garrett 5000 will be a known quantity...

Rich

#3 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I agree with Rich, I have a manfrotto 028 which is very good, also the 056,045 AE worth looking for. I have the garret 5000 head, good value for money
BHPhoto have a Davis & Sanford provista which looks very similar to the Garrett 5000 for less But is shorter link here
I do have an older & much cheaper old slik professional which is both tall & sturdy but it has a 1/4" top thread rather than standard 3/8"

#4 cobra_fat

cobra_fat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I will start my search. Is there a camera chain that would have examples of these? I live in Columbus, OH.

#5 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

When I shop for a support mount, I try to stay at 50% of the advertised maximum load or capacity. And the maximum load for the tripod (legs) is almost always greater than the head. However, it is the head capacity that concerns me when I am looking for enough support for the heaviest binocular I will mount on the tripod/head setup.

For example, you said you have the Barska Cosmos 25x100 binoculars, which weighs 9 lbs. Using the 50% rule, you should look for a tripod and head that are advertised with a maximum load around 18 lbs. According to the Garrett Optical website, the Garrett 5000 tripod is listed with a 26-lb capacity. The 50% rule says the tripod (legs only) will easily support a 13-lb binocular. Now let's look at the head. The Garrett 5000 head is listed with a 17.6-lb capacity. The 50% rule says the head will easily support a 8.8-lb binocular. So, rounding up, the Garrett 5000 setup should provide sufficient support for your Barska Cosmos 25x100.

Of course, you can fudge and try to put a 12- or 13-lb binocular on the Garret 5000. And you probably will be fine if you do not have the legs and post fully extended, and you have the binoculars in a horizontal position (doing landscape observing). However, when you extend the legs and post all the way to observe the night sky in the 60-degree altitude area or more (say all the way to zenith), then the support setup may tip over on you or the head may be strained and you will have to keep the adjustment knobs tight, having difficulty sweeping the sky, which is really why we buy a fluid head--to sweep with the binoculars mounted.

Some observers use the hook in the bottom portion of the legs to hang a bag of sand to help anchor the tripod to prevent tipping. However, we are back to the all important head portion in the support setup. The sand bag doesn't make the head any more fluid and you diminish the ability to sweep with ease if you overload the support setup.

I hope this helps.

#6 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Manfrotto tripods and heads are quite good. I just did a Google search and there is a Manfrotto dealer in Columbus, Ohio who may have some Manfrotto equipment in the show room. I have never been in this camera store and so cannot say anything but . . . I googled "Manfrotto in Columbus, Ohio." It cannot hurt to give the store a telephone call and see what they have in inventory.
World of New Photography
1424 West Third Ave
Columbus, OH 43212
Tel: 614.824.5047
website link If you go to the store, you may want to take your binoculars to try them on any tripod/head setups they might have in inventory. You could also contact Manfrotto U.S. and get a list of dealers within driving distance of Columbus. When you get to the Manfrotto US website, select "Where to Buy" and enter the states you want to search. I did this for Ohio and there are more Manfrotto dealers in Columbus. Older Manfrotto equipment may be branded Bogen.

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Better yet, and only an hour away, in Dayton, Ohio, you will find the wonderful world of Oberwerk and the Big Binoculars Showroom--they also sell tripods and mounts. Give 'em a call, grab your binoculars and drive over to see Kevin and the gang.

And if you have the time, or during your 3rd or 4th trip to the Oberwerk Big Binoculars showroom, go and visit the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum--they have a Missile and Space Gallery with moon rocks, space flight exhibits, rockets, and lots more! Looks like they are having Space Fest 2013 in May.

Finally, before I forget, Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

#7 cobra_fat

cobra_fat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have found a Manfrotto 028 Tripod with a Weifeng WF-717AH Head. Would this head support my binoculars?

#8 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

This Weifeng head appears to be a lighter version of what appears to be the similarly sourced Garrett 5000 head. It's rated at 6kg rather than the 8kg of the Garrett. The Weifeng doesn't seem to have the counterbalance spring that the heavier Garrett has. This will require the tension to be set tighter to prevent the binos from creeping backward while viewing at high angles. Careful balance of the binos will help.

In real world use, heads made for camcorders are usually used horizontally so binos need a higher capacity rating and/or counterbalance springs to make up for the higher angles they are used at.

Don't expect a lot from a head that retails for only $75. ;)

http://www.linkdelig...d-Tripod-Hea...

Rich

#9 cobra_fat

cobra_fat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I found this on Ebay:
Barska AB10526 25x100 WP Cosmos Large Binoculars with Professional Tripod Combo
Backed by Lifetime Warranty + 30 Day Return Policy
It is item # 230911829530 and there are over 10 available.

It is only 349.99 with free shipping. The cheapest the binoculars go for is about $260. How is this possible?

Even though I saw this, I bought the Garret 500 tripod from ebay for $300 and $27 shipping. After all I already had the binos.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics