• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

I'd never spend close the going rate for an eyepiece that is in excellent or like new condition if there's no detailed description. It just doesn't make sense, because the seller will likely not want to accept a return if the buyer bought the eyepiece without questioning the condition...he might or might not accept a return, but it's a pain to bother with and no one is satisfied with such a transaction. I just limit my purchase to eyepieces described in some detail and, if possible, I buy from sellers with excellent records and reputations. I know a few people from whom I'd buy an eyepiece with no photos and only a brief description - this based on how honest they've been with me in the past, how conservative is their grading system, or how they tend to mention the tiniest flaws (that I may have a hard time finding).

#27 stevenwav

stevenwav

Mariner 2

• Loc: New England

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I always guarantee anything I sell, meaning that I offer up in an email the fact that I will accept a return if not satisfied. I am not aware of too many others doing this explicitly but I feel that folks we deal with on this site and others are deserving of this option - especially given the fact that there is no standard of grading, the premise of my original posting. BTW - I do this with everything including telescopes. It actually makes me feel better about selling these items, knowing that the other party is completely satisfied. To each their own though.

#28 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

One term thrown around a lot but not mentioned by BillP is "mint". My expectation for that term is no less than NIB, never been used, but a lot of folks seem to use the term for something that is better described as very good or excellent. Just one of my pet peeves, so I'll get off my soapbox now.

Alex

Something that gets under my skin is the liberal use of the word "RARE" in some ads. Dunno to laugh or cry sometimes.

"Rare" nagler?

Another "Rare" nagler?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics