•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Owl Nebula

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Observed this for the first time in awhile. Seeing and Transparency were both pretty poor but I had no problem finding and observing the nebula using my 26mm ep(roughly 77x).
But here is what's weird. I could distinctly make out what appeared to be a pacman shape "eating" a star(the only one visible in the nebula). The star was located in what would be the cutout triangle that is pacman's mouth. (If this description isn't working for you, I can try a crude sketch). The problem is, looking at pictures of this nebula, that observation just doesn't seem to fit. :confused: :question:

Maybe it was all in my head, but it made for a fun sight!

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Sounds to me like a contrast illusion. The brightness of the star made the nebula seem fainter.

#3 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Sounds to me like a contrast illusion. The brightness of the star made the nebula seem fainter.

Possibly, the star was very faint though. Guess I'll give it another shot when the skies are a little better and maybe do a sketch.

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

I find the Owl one of the fainter PNe under London LP even when imaged [below]. Also there are 3 stars within the nebula of similar brightness - the central one is associated with Owl :grin:

Posted Image

#5 Feidb

Feidb

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Sometimes, depending on transparency and contrast, you might not see both eyes, may see only one, or may see a solid shape. Between those extremes, you might very possibly get the Pacman variation you're talking about. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Even in my 16-inch, I've had as many variations. The Owl is very conditions-dependent. It's a delicate object.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics