Owl Nebula

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Observed this for the first time in awhile. Seeing and Transparency were both pretty poor but I had no problem finding and observing the nebula using my 26mm ep(roughly 77x).
But here is what's weird. I could distinctly make out what appeared to be a pacman shape "eating" a star(the only one visible in the nebula). The star was located in what would be the cutout triangle that is pacman's mouth. (If this description isn't working for you, I can try a crude sketch). The problem is, looking at pictures of this nebula, that observation just doesn't seem to fit. :confused: :question:

Maybe it was all in my head, but it made for a fun sight!

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Sounds to me like a contrast illusion. The brightness of the star made the nebula seem fainter.

#3 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Sounds to me like a contrast illusion. The brightness of the star made the nebula seem fainter.

Possibly, the star was very faint though. Guess I'll give it another shot when the skies are a little better and maybe do a sketch.

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

I find the Owl one of the fainter PNe under London LP even when imaged [below]. Also there are 3 stars within the nebula of similar brightness - the central one is associated with Owl :grin:

Posted Image

#5 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Sometimes, depending on transparency and contrast, you might not see both eyes, may see only one, or may see a solid shape. Between those extremes, you might very possibly get the Pacman variation you're talking about. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Even in my 16-inch, I've had as many variations. The Owl is very conditions-dependent. It's a delicate object.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics