• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 b_kassabov

b_kassabov

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi guys
I recently bought a laptop with RS 232 intending to connect it to my EQ6 mount. I installed latest ASCOM driver version, EQMOD, stellarium 0.11.4 and PHD guiding profram. First I tried to configure and connect the scope via stellarium and it was ok -the mount moved here and there. Then I tried to connect the mount through PHD and then I got a problem. It keeps telling me it can't find the mount on COM1 (but stellarium did) and doesn't connect.In setup menu of ASCOM COM1 also couldn't be found. Where could I be wrong? What should I do? I'll be thankful for any help

#2 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Does the laptop have an old serial/RS232 port or are you using a USB to Serial adapter to connect to the mount? If you are using an adapter, the COM port can change if you put the adapter in a different USB port. Use Device Manager to determine what COM ports are being used.

JohnD

#3 b_kassabov

b_kassabov

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. the computer contains it's own COM port (COM1)

#4 akira

akira

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

first of all make sure from the eqmod setup menu that eqmod has COM1 set or the mount won't connect. for phd when you connect to the mount from the eqmod mount selection screen that pops up form the appropriate menu you need to select eq5/eq6 option.

#5 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Check which driver you use in ascom to connect to the mount. Is it eqmod or the celestron driver?

#6 b_kassabov

b_kassabov

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

first of all make sure from the eqmod setup menu that eqmod has COM1 set or the mount won't connect. for phd when you connect to the mount from the eqmod mount selection screen that pops up form the appropriate menu you need to select eq5/eq6 option.

Guys thank you very much!
The reason it all didn't work happened to be very simple - just the handset of the EQ6 had to be setup in the appropriate menu that you will use a direct PC connection. Now everything's fine. Thanks again!

#7 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yes if you use eqmod as ascom driver the hand controller should be put in the so called "PC direct mode" first because eqmod need to directly command the motor control board in the mount. If you use the celestron ascom driver this is not needed because it communicates with the hand controller and not directly with the motor control board.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics