• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 taki53

taki53

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hi. I just picked up the celestron cg-5 go to mount and I was considering picking up a gps device for it. It seems that celestron has discontinued a model that went with this mount. My question is are there any other models that any :confused:one can recommend? Are gps worth it? Thanks a million!

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Celestron still has the SkySync GPS module, item #93969 listed on their website. It is compatable with the CG5-GT mount according to Celestron.

#3 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I use a USGlobalSat BU-353 receiver and a small application called GPS2ASTAR (Gps To AutoStar) to send GPS location and time data to my LXD75. I would not be surprised if someone in the Celestron world has a similar application....

The real cool part is, this little gizmo cost about $35.00, and I can use my field laptop to send GPS data to the mount.

#4 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

There's something that seems to come with NexRemote called NexGPS that seems to do the same job. I don't think I've ever tried it.

Chris

#5 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

StarGPS. $100 bucks for the GPS + about $30

#6 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

StarGPS. $100 bucks for the GPS + about $30 Bucks for the adapter cable. plus one can get an extra adapter cable to make it usable for a different scope or mount. many to be used with.

stargps.ca This is a Canadian net address.

Theo

#7 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

And for the CG-5 you are also going to need a port extender.

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

skysync is currently on sale and its designed for all celestron goto mounts.

StarGPS looks pretty good too, and it can be adapted to many different types of mounts.

Patrick

#9 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Why get one dedicated to only a mount? My cell phone has a GPS in it and I can use it to get a current location anywhere. It's easy to enter the coordinates into a hand controller or computer program. Your phone's "current time" should also be accurate to a few seconds.

Phil

#10 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

What he said. If your location changes by more than 60 miles or so, update by hand with a generic GPS fix (or use a nearby city from the list). Less than that, don't bother.

#11 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

I think the main attraction with using a GPS is the chance of error. You know, Coordinate E/W, N/S, typing error etc.... it is especially a problem for people not familiar wit the coordinates system.

Also, some mounts are a bit cryptic about how the handle the annotation for N/S, E/W... using +/- signs to annotate. So yes, a GPS could be a good idea for some users, although every single mobile phone i have purchased for the past 4 or 5 years has one.

#12 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

The StarGPS looks like a better deal, but I don't like how the unit plugs into the hand controller and the AUX port on the mount. Now there is a loop of wires to catch.

Sky Sync is expensive, but it looks like it plugs directly into the AUX port on the mount without having to connect to the hand controller.

I'm looking at one of these, too. I have mis-entered the time and wasted a setup routine with my CG-5 twice now. I do not have a GPS phone or tablet, so when I go to a different site, I have to look up the coordinates before leaving home. Not that hard, but I can imagine driving 2 hours and then realizing I forgot the note...

The StarGPS may win for the price point. I can always hook it up until it does its thing and then disconnect and put it away. The Celestron model would be less of a hassle, though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics