86 replies to this topic

#26 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Jim,

The brand new D5100 I purchased this weekend is late begin delivered. The ebay seller said one of his employee sold his last in-store unit the same day I purchased it from him on ebay. Anyhow, he is due to get his next shipment from Nikon early next week and will ship me the new D5100 then. I'll send it your way immediately to get it MONOfied. You'll be cracking open a brand new Nikon this time :) Looking forward to getting it back from you :)

Guylain

#27 Alfredo Beltran

Alfredo Beltran

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bogota, Colombia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi Jim

It would be really interesting to see a MONOFIED Canon because the accesories and software of most of us are made for Canon

Any plans of doing so?

#28 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Alfredo,

That appears to be the general consensus too. I may go back and attempt again with Canon sensors, I had little luck with the five 10D sensors that I destroyed. If people support me with purchasing the converted Nikons then I will have some extra development funds to go forwards and experiment with the Canons some more.

A little mea culpa here, this Icodome venture is just for fun and the challenge of accomplishing something for fellow astro enthusiasts. I don't need it to make a living, I have another profession during the day.

#29 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi Jim

It would be really interesting to see a MONOFIED Canon because the accesories and software of most of us are made for Canon

Any plans of doing so?

Ah, that is about to change. BackyardEOS is about to have a twin sister. I just purchased 4 Nikons DSLR. One of my project in 2013 is to release BackyardNIK to support Nikons DSLR.

Guylain

#30 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

There is a nice and inexpensive now Canon 40D. Why not offer their modification?

Be sure, Canon market in astronomy is 20x or more as larger than all other brands together.

#31 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: CT, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I've dreamed of removing the bayer matrix from my QHY8 for a while now. In fact I'm surprised no one here hasn't asked you yet to do the mod to Sony 453 based cameras. After all the QHY8 uses the sensor on the carrier from an old Nikon (I forget which model but I'm pretty sure you listed it).

I've long wanted a monochrome camera but always felt Sony sensors were superior to Kodak ones and Sony doesn't make large monochrome ones :)

#32 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Sander,

I had the exact same thought a month ago since the QHY8 uses the same Sony ccd found in the Nikon D70/D80. Why not pick up a used one for say $800 and make it a monocamera. The Qhy8 was always a nice camera with excellent noise performance once cooled. I think I'll start looking around!

Jim

#33 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: CT, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Keep us posted Jim! There are tons of '8s and related cameras out there and more than a few of us must have lamented the fact we can't get the same camera in mono.

Good luck with your endeavor.

#34 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Ok,

Some lowered prices to clear my stock so I can raise some capital to purchase a QHY8 and a Nikon D5100.

The D50 is now only $375.

The D90 is now only $550. Both come with original boxes and all original accessories and extra batteries.

The D40 is sold.

I have another D40 with original box and stuff but the the right and up navigation buttons on the 4 way controller don't seem to work although you can still access all menu functions with the other two direction buttons. It seems to shoot fine with under 8k actuations but I'm suspicious of the previous owner passing me a iffy camera so I'll blow it out for costs - $180 <<sold>>

Jim

#35 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

WOOOHOOOO! First real clear night in over 3 months, but verrry cccold at -12C!

Good test for the monofied Nikon D90, unguided 2 minute exposures for a total of one hour showing fantastic Ha cloud details that would never be captured with a conventional Bayer layered DSLR in such a short integration period. Image shrunk 50% to fit size constraints and mask the lousy unguided star shapes!

Attached Files

#36 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Nice shoot Jim with the D90.

I just got my brand new D5100 today. I took a 10 minutes dark frame and it shows no sign of amp glow or light leak; which I was expecting for a D5100.

I'm also very impress with the amount of noise (or lack thereof) on the 10 minutes dark frame at about 22 degrees Celsius ~ almost no noise at all :)

You'll be cracking open a brand new D5100 with a whooping 1 shutter actuation :)

Can you send me a PM with your complete address and I'll ship the camera as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Guylain

#37 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Anytime soon backyardnik?

#38 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Anytime soon backyardnik?

Sometimes in the second half of 2013. This is still a weekend/weeknight thingy for me so time is my enemy for sure :(

Thanks for asking.

Guylain

#39 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

The D90 is now <<sold>>.

Only a single D50 is left $375 or open to offers. ((pending))

Jim

#40 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

30x2 minutes canon 450d modified

Posted Image

#41 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Mary,

It would have been helpful if you had included some text with your image because right now I have no idea why you posted this image on MY THREAD. I really fail to see the relevance of it, perhaps you would be so kind as to remove it.

#42 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

This morning I just finished converting my first Nikon D5100 to monochrome! Can't wait to try some narrowband imaging!

Down the street with 720nm IR pass filter on D5100 (full size):

http://dl.dropbox.co...5100IR720nm.jpg

Attached Files

#43 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Guys, I am in! Jim will kindly purchase a brand new D5100 for me and modify.

This was my dream since I have started astroimaging with a DSLR.

I must confess, BackyardNIK has a great share in my decision making process!

Nikon Brotherhood :)

#44 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Guys, I am in! Jim will kindly purchase a brand new D5100 for me and modify.

This was my dream since I have started astroimaging with a DSLR.

I must confess, BackyardNIK has a great share in my decision making process!

Nikon Brotherhood :)

Thanks Sedat. You were one of the first adopters of BackyardEOS back in the days and now you'll be one of the first for BackyardNIK. WooHoo :)

Guylain

#45 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Guylain, I am even willing to pay for BackyardNIK as of today! I have no doubt at all that it will make the life of Nikon owners extemely easy!

I will have a mono DSLR, it will be my first Nikon ever and it will be contolled by your brainchild, BackyardXXX! Woohoooo me! What else can I wish for !

#46 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Guylain, I am even willing to pay for BackyardNIK as of today! I have no doubt at all that it will make the life of Nikon owners extemely easy!

I will have a mono DSLR, it will be my first Nikon ever and it will be contolled by your brainchild, BackyardXXX! Woohoooo me! What else can I wish for !

No prepaid... although you're not the first one to suggest it.

The D5100 is also my fisrt mono DSLR, my first attempt at astrophotography with a Nikon.

What else you can wish for... how about no clouds for a full month when we get our mono DSLR :question:

Regards,

Guylain

#47 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

What else you can wish for... how about no clouds for a full month when we get our mono DSLR :question:

Regards,

Guylain

And no moon.... :grin:

#48 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

Regards,

Guylain

That, Guylain, I am wishing for all the time :) I will quadruple my wish time and dither between wishing sessions so that when our D5100 cameras arrive, we can immediately start shooting!

#49 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

And no moon.... :grin:

Hi Jason,

I guess, we will not be minding moon being around with our mono cameras :) We can shoot narrow band just for bragging :) What do you say Guylain :)

#50 Alfredo Beltran

Alfredo Beltran

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bogota, Colombia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hi Jason,

I guess, we will not be minding moon being around with our mono cameras :) We can shoot narrow band just for bragging :) What do you say Guylain :)

Hi Sedat

I was wondering about this. Given the size of the APS-C sensor, what filter wheel could be suitable to keep the right focal distance? I also think filters should be 2" to avoid serious vignetting. Do Nikon DSLRs have the same focal distance as Canons (55 mm with T-ring)?

Also, to do narrow band typically 15 min are needed, so how will thermal signal affect each sub? At very long subs the cooling capabilities of CCD cameras is more important... :question:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics